Results 1,551 to 1,555 of 1555
    My Bikes
    Trek 820
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy Birthday MarioT!

I still have 6 months left until I am 50 but I thought I'd join early since I haven't ridden in years.
    sharon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! I'm age 69 and resumed cycling this spring after about 2 years out of the saddle. To your other questions:

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

I ride a Sekine 10 speed, purchased new in 1974. It has a butted, Cro-Mo steel, lugged frame with all Al alloy components except the seatpost and freewheel and weighs 26lb, relatively light in an age when the 40+lb Schwinn Varsity was popular. (Sekine was a Japanese bike built in Canada to circumvent high Canadian import duty.) As a backup, I have my Wife's mixte frame Fontan (French), purchased at the same time as mine, which she hasn't ridden in decades.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

I take a handful of vitamins at my Wife's urging - it's easier to take them than to argue their need. And then there are the BP meds.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

My cycling has definitely slowed since I stopped two+ years ago when I would regularly maintain 18+ mph average over 20mi, It's now closer to 16mph, but I'm gradually building.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

My biking has been sporadic since my only adult bike purchase in '74; usually short periods of activity followed by longer periods of sloth. My previous active period was probably the longest and lasted about 5 years until my frustrations with repairing an old bike got the better of me. As I get stronger and begin to break things again I hope I can avoid repeating the cycle (no pun intended), but the cost of bikes today gives me pause. I'm also reaching an age where the bike may not be the only thing that breaks.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

Predominantly fitness rides under 30mi and the occasional and shorter "rec" ride.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

About 3 times per week totaling 60-70mi. I have an indoor "spinner" bike for bad weather.

7. Do you do any other physical activities?

A herniated lumbar disc and surgery more than a decade ago has limited other strenuous physical pursuits, at least those that involve lifting. I do physical therapy stretches every morning to "reboot" my spine and various strength exercises, including a set of 70-75 push-ups (I managed 80 this morning - a personal best for a single set!)

I look forward to tomorrow morning's ride................

My Bikes
    None yet
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updated:
    My age: 50, I'll be 51 in October.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? I just bought a 2012 Raleigh Detour 4.5 step-through bike from a used sporting goods store.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. - I've only been on 2 bike rides this week since getting my bike, first around 4 miles & then around 6, trying to see what I can handle since it's been so long since I've ridden a bike. Next step is getting a carrier for my car & taking a bike repair class from my local bike shop, so I can bike anywhere & feel like I might actually know what to do if I have a flat or a problem on a ride, since right now I feel clueless.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? - See above.

My Bikes
    2005 Trek 4300 (Disc), LA Bicycle Mirage
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.

I'm 58.

1. Usually a 2005 Trek 4300.

2. Just a multi-vitamin.

3. I don't know.

4. Bought the bike new, but never used it until 2010. Cycled off and on for about three years, then stopped for a year. Just started riding again about a month ago.

5. Short rec rides. Typically 15 - 25 miles.

6. Five days per week. I hope to break 2500 miles this year and 5000 miles next year.

My Bikes
    2011 Roubaix SL3 Expert, 2011 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 2005 Specialized Allez Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Please tell us your age.
    I'm 68 and ride three different bikes depending on mood.
    1. 2005 Specialized Allez (fast)
    2011 Specialized Sirrus (Hybrid - comfortable)
    2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert (my fav - fast and comfortable)

2. I take pain meds every morning along with Vitamin B12 & D3, multi-vitamins, and Cognitine for mental acuity and, uh, that other thing, uh, memory.

3. The muscles and joints just aren't as flexible and responsive any more so yeah, I've slowed down considerably. Doesn't stop me though.

4. I biked a lot as a kid, wanted to train for the Tour de France but they don't take high school kids. Took it up again in the early 90s for a short while, started again seriously in mid 2012.

5. I'm a recreational and health rider. I'm looking for some more roads w/o too much traffic in Reno. There's a great bike path following the Truckee River, too bad the surface is in such neglect (cracks and tree root speed bumps). Overall a decent ride.

6. I ride every morning (weather permitting) 17-20 miles/day, some days two rides, about 120mi/wk. 1722 miles so far this year. Didn't start collecting these road bikes until January and sold the old clunker '92 MTB (it went to a good home).

A day without riding is like a day without...
    Last edited by Greybeard712; 07-09-14 at 12:31 AM.

Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353616263