Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How to avoid "Laugh In" falls when coming to a stop.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How to avoid "Laugh In" falls when coming to a stop.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-10, 06:58 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bobthib
Unclip early, unclip often.
BTW, after riding for about 6 mo, I stopped doing the above. I have a little routine I follow every time. I always unclip my left foot when it is in the 9AM position (level and in front), and leave my foot on pedal as I push the right foot to the bottom. I un-clip maybe 25' before I'm going to stop, and coast like that. If I don't stop, pressing down re-clips the left foot.

If I do stop, I wait until the last second and then take my left foot off and place it on the ground just as I stop and lean left. I don't deviate from this, except when on occasion I un-clip the right foot when I have a little longer stop or something else to do.
Old 05-23-10, 07:10 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,478 Times in 3,223 Posts
Yeah, that's good technique. I have a BAD habit of unclipping my left foot @ 3 o'clock heel inward. Causes the back heel cup of my shoe (sorry but I don't know an appropriate or precise word for it) to engage my rear wheel's spokes.
Old 05-23-10, 07:14 PM
Autumn

Bikes: A very old one

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright, so I read over the debate and my question is tangential to the original question of to falling at stops while clipped in. Suppose your fear of getting seriously road burned or run over inspires you to practice clipping in and out on your trainer. However, you are having ridiculous difficulty getting in and out of them on your trainer. I mean you practice two hours, try shifting the cleats, and the pedals are all the way to the "easy" release setting. I have Shimano A520s which are SPD and WR40s which are SPD-SL. Does anyone have any ideas what the heck I am doing wrong? I live in a hilly/mountainous area that gets a lot of rain and has heavy traffic...until you get outside of town, thus I am a little worried about getting proficient at clipping in and out before I hit the pavement. Thank you so much.
Old 05-23-10, 07:21 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by AutumnRides
Alright, so I read over the debate and my question is tangential to the original question of to falling at stops while clipped in. Suppose your fear of getting seriously road burned or run over inspires you to practice clipping in and out on your trainer. However, you are having ridiculous difficulty getting in and out of them on your trainer. I mean you practice two hours, try shifting the cleats, and the pedals are all the way to the "easy" release setting. I have Shimano A520s which are SPD and WR40s which are SPD-SL. Does anyone have any ideas what the heck I am doing wrong? I live in a hilly/mountainous area that gets a lot of rain and has heavy traffic...until you get outside of town, thus I am a little worried about getting proficient at clipping in and out before I hit the pavement. Thank you so much.
Don't sweat it.....you'll get to be a natural, very quickly.....one or two falls will see to that.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 05-23-10, 11:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in the early 80's I bought a set of the first Look pedals available and promptly "Artied" in my driveway! I ended up on my back, holding my bike up off the concrete, still clipped in. I rode them for a long time and got used to them to the point that the muscle memory was fully operational. I stopped riding for several years and recently took the bike down and fitted it with Speedplays. I promptly "Artied" at an intersection with a grandma in a big van very attentively stopping well behind me as I tried to unclip and stand up. The muscle memory for the Looks doesn't work for the Speedplays, so I've spent the last couple of rides cruising the neighborhood, clipping in and out and practicing stops and starts. From the sound of things, I guess I have a couple more "Arties" to go through before I can stop keeling over. Thanks to all for posting such funny stories!
Old 05-24-10, 07:17 AM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AutumnRides
For me, the same bike, same shoes, and the same pedals on the trainer act differently...I can't explain it. The Shimano A520's are the easiest ones I've used and I would suggest just getting out and riding up and down the street in front of your house. Remember one thing...which ever foot you unclip, twist the handlebars the opposite direction as you stop. This will push the bike to the unclipped side very easily.
Old 05-24-10, 08:38 AM
Autumn

Bikes: A very old one

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the help!
Old 05-24-10, 08:43 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Metric Man
The Shimano A520's are the easiest ones I've used.
I think they're a bit stiff.

The M520s are easier, IMHO. I see plenty of them on group road rides.
Old 05-24-10, 09:37 AM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
I think they're a bit stiff.

The M520s are easier, IMHO. I see plenty of them on group road rides.
See there? You got me looking...and sure enough I have the M520.
Old 05-24-10, 10:18 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I use the A520's on my Casseroll and agree they are a little stiff in rotation, though not so much as to be even a slight problem. I think the slight stiffness is due to their best feature, the platform surrounding the attachment area that contacts and supports the sole of the shoe. It is this contact that makes these pedals a viable option for me.
Old 05-25-10, 06:40 AM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I got Speedplay LAs and I love 'em. Easy in, easy out. Did however pay my dues in Club Tombay. 3x. Last Year. None since. Knock wood.
Old 05-25-10, 11:13 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After falling into a lane of the freeway, here's what I did: I went to a deserted road, and started and stopped perhaps 200 times in a row. I practiced with the left and with the right. I practiced unclipping when at all different positions. I haven't fallen since.

Also, the advice about turning the wheel seems silly (if I can remember to do that, I can remember to unclip the correct foot), but it was helpful to me.
Old 05-27-10, 07:01 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
If all else fails....

https://www.utahtrikes.com/uploads/ut...0-quad-650.jpg

tcs

Last edited by tcs; 05-27-10 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-31-10, 04:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did it again, last night. That's two. One more and I guess I'm done with the initiation. I'm getting better at falling! This time, instead of going down on my elbow and knee, I tucked everything in and hit on my butt and left side of my back. The only pain from this one came from dragging my right Achilles' tendon across the teeth of the chain wheel. If I keep doing this I'm getting a yellow rain coat and hood!!
Old 05-31-10, 05:12 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,478 Times in 3,223 Posts
Originally Posted by LazyDave
I did it again, last night. That's two. One more and I guess I'm done with the initiation. I'm getting better at falling! This time, instead of going down on my elbow and knee, I tucked everything in and hit on my butt and left side of my back. The only pain from this one came from dragging my right Achilles' tendon across the teeth of the chain wheel. If I keep doing this I'm getting a yellow rain coat and hood!!

Love your attitude! Obviously you learn from experience which leads to wisdom.

I'm still unclipping inward which is starting to seriously bug me. Thing is I rarely catch a spoke but when I do it seems I'm next to a cute young lady rider (just the other day) or otherwise in someone's eye. Besides it may be the reason my rear wheel is slightly out of true.