Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thursday night club ride stepped up the pace.

Since joining the Casco Bay Bicycle Club I have joined the Thursday night ride when I can. Last night there were no members riding at my level and it was a definite challenge to keep up. Of course they always stop and regroup but that usually means that as soon as I pull up we all head off again. Have learned to engage in conversations about their bikes, etc. At least that gives me a bit of rest. It's tough keeping up with these younger folk! It does give me hill training which I tend to ignore when on my own.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is easy to get in the same boat as you are. I have been in the B group for at least two years now and in truth I am inbetween the A and B group in speed for 40 miles. The problem is I am more B group in climbing than anything else. If the climb is short enough I can hang on and draft till I get my breath back on the other side. But if it is a long grade I am toast. I have been lucky in that our A and B group tends to regroup at the same spots so if I can't hang I can simply wait till the B group get there and finish the ride.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    ... The problem is I am more B group in climbing than anything else.
    That pretty much describes me. I can easily keep up with the A riders on flat ground. But this year they added 5 miles of almost continuous hills, and they're not afraid of shedding half of their own numbers in an attempt to drop me. It's rare when I can actually avoid getting gapped.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One tip I found out is that if you have been dropped and the rest re-group for you-----Then just before you catch the group slow down a bit. Then as you meet the group- keep cycling. If you do stop when you regroup- then you have to re-start again and that can be hard.

Plus the fact that some of the group may be cool or cold and it forces the re-start on them. Play to your advantages.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had pretty much the same situation as the OP on our Thur. night ride last night. The "A" group hammered up the climbs at a pace I couldn't begin to match, so I dropped back to (and finished with) the "B" group.

The bad news is that meant I had to (help) fix 2 flat tires, one a massive blow-out that required a boot and the other a kind-slow leak that took awhile to locate the dastardly thorn.

Overall though, a much more relaxed pace and more conversation in our "B" group, whereas it's usually a tad more aggressive in the "A" group, but that's a matter of who's there on any particular ride and how everyone is feeling available power-wise too.

Rick / OCRR