Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

learning to pedal circles without thinking about it....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

learning to pedal circles without thinking about it....

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-11, 05:34 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I think you are on the right track. Thinking about circles or about wiping mud off the bottom of the shoes or whatever mental trick you use, it's all about developing a smooth spin and transferring power as evenly as possible through the full circle of pedaling. The longer you do it, the more natural it will become. But even after many years of pedaling circles, I still find a boost in power by concentrating on smooth pedaling at key times like while climbing or when accelerating on flats.
Old 06-18-11, 05:57 AM
train safe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fixed gear--it forces the circles. It also teaches you how cadence can vary speed.

train safe-
Old 06-18-11, 10:49 AM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
And yes you can pedal in circles with platforms and pins - they grip beautifully.
Old 06-18-11, 12:37 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I think fixed gear drills may be a very good idea. I went for a short ride on the bike path today and at one point was passed by a teen aged boy furiously pedaling a BMX. I was still accelerating at a modest rate but was surprised at his speed. Less than a minute later, with the help of a bit of tail wind, I was rolling at 21 mph and passed him back. After an intersection stop, while accellerating again, he evedently was not going to take being passed by an old guy, and came by again, this time his feet were a blur. Then he popped a wheelie on his front wheel. Watching his feet reminded me of a Road Runner cartoon where Wiley Coyote's feet are whirling around in a blur while you hear a jet engine sound spooling up. To learn to spin fast, get a fixed gear bike.
Old 06-19-11, 09:16 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On today's ride while riding up some 2-3% grades I would ride no handed and concentrate on the full pedal stroke. I takes a nice round pedal stroke and some bike handling skills but is not that difficult once started. Note, that is pedaling 201 so be sure that you have completed pedaling 101 first.
Old 06-20-11, 04:56 AM

A. J. in pedaling 101 I'm working on this very drill except for maintaining one hand on the bar. No hands will take somewhat longer.
Old 06-20-11, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Riding no hands will depend very much on the geometry of your bike and in particular, the fork. Not all bikes will enable you to ride no-hands unless at very high speed going downhill.

Anyone who wants to improve their circles -- do the one-foot pedalling exercise.

The thing I have found about fixed gear is that it teaches you to keep your hips level and your upper torso from flopping about. This means you are concentrating most on using your legs to move the pedals.

Last edited by Rowan; 06-20-11 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-20-11, 07:36 PM

Bikes: Giant Boulder SE, Fuji 3.0 Newest

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pulled a 30 miler yesterday with my team in New Jersey yesterday. I tried to think - "pedaling in circles" and did pretty well most of the time. I'm getting faster, actually lead the "C" group for a few miles. Which felt really good, considering the last time I rode with these folks I was bring up the rear.
Pedaling in circles definitely helps. Now the question is how long will it take for pedaling in circles to come naturally for me? i's assuming years.
Old 06-20-11, 08:47 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I could not learn to "pedal in circles" but responded to "scrape imaginary but sticky mud."

Like you I lose form but after five or six years that's relatively infrequent.
Old 06-20-11, 08:57 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by buelito
fixed gear--it forces the circles. It also teaches you how cadence can vary speed.

train safe-
+1 this.

If you want to improve your pedaling technique, set up a fixed gear bike and ride it exclusively for several weeks. When you go back to your regular bike you WILL see a difference.
Old 06-21-11, 11:36 AM

To pedal at high cadence it is necessary to pedal in circles. To pedal in circles check out this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVbwn...layer_embedded
Old 06-21-11, 12:15 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Riding on rollers no-handed requires a near perfect pedal stroke that can transfer to riding on the road. I got there this past winter. Here is a brief annimated video which may help. https://www.xtranormal.com/watch/8195...ng-the-rollers
Old 06-21-11, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I think you are on the right track. Thinking about circles or about wiping mud off the bottom of the shoes or whatever mental trick you use, it's all about developing a smooth spin and transferring power as evenly as possible through the full circle of pedaling....
One "mental trick" I found useful was from a post to a Road Forum thread that the force applied to the pedal is at 90 degrees to the crankarm. As I understand that, you only push directly downwards (and pull directly upwards) when the cranks are at 3 and 9 o'clock. At the 12 o'clock position you are pulling directly backwards in the mud-scraping action, and at 6 o'clock you are pushing directly forward. So the direction of applied force is continuously changing through the cycle to maintain that 90 degree relation to the crankarm. It took some conscious thought to apply the principle, but by George, I think I've got it.
Old 06-21-11, 01:49 PM

I sure hope your home environment is more...umm, supportive. Now that you can ride rollers no hands, your next assignment, should you choose to accept it, would be to juggle three tennis balls simultaneously. Video proof required.
Old 06-22-11, 05:54 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Riding on rollers no-handed requires a near perfect pedal stroke that can transfer to riding on the road. I got there this past winter. Here is a brief annimated video which may help. https://www.xtranormal.com/watch/8195...ng-the-rollers
Excellent video. I am totally impressed with those who can ride rollers with no hands.
Old 06-22-11, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Excellent video. I am totally impressed with those who can ride rollers with no hands.
Assuming the bike is set up correctly and the rider has reached some level of confidence on rollers, it's actually easier to ride no hands than with hands on the bars. Input from the hands tends to twitch the bars around disconcertingly; steering from the hips has much less of an effect on control of the bike.

If you choose gears to keep your cadence consistently in the 95 to 110 range, maintaining an efficient pedal stroke tends to take care of itself. When you find that you're riding at a cadence lower than that, just switch to a lower gear.
Old 06-22-11, 05:48 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got back to biking a bit over a year ago. I saw right away I had no ability to spin in circles. I could do it for just a few minutes and it made my legs tired after that. But having been a cyclist years ago I knew its importance and I just kept working at it, consciously each ride here and there. It took a full season and more for me to get to the point where now I am spinning pretty much all the time. Spin in circles till it's tiring. Ride. Spin again. Mash. Spin whenever you can. Keep working at it consciously. +1 on spinning classes and short bursts of ultra high speed spinning. It may take quite a while to get it under control because the leg muscles used aren't balanced for spinning by normal walking, but it will come after some hundreds of miles.
Old 06-22-11, 06:08 PM
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Read this: https://www.rivbike.com/article/clothing/the_shoes_ruse

EXCERPT: "When elite pedalers and lousy rookie pedalers have been hooked up to machines that measure muscle activity during pedaling, the machines tell us this: during normal pedaling at normal cadences, nobody pulls UP on the backstroke the elite/efficient pedalers push down less on the upward moving pedal than the rookies do."

So . . . we don't really pedal in circles after all?

(Yes, I realize who I'm quoting on this, so please take it with a teaspoon of salt since no particular study is cited.)
Old 06-22-11, 08:43 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by ciocc_cat

EXCERPT: "When elite pedalers and lousy rookie pedalers have been hooked up to machines that measure muscle activity during pedaling, the machines tell us this: during normal pedaling at normal cadences, nobody pulls UP on the backstroke the elite/efficient pedalers push down less on the upward moving pedal than the rookies do."

(Yes, I realize who I'm quoting on this, so please take it with a teaspoon of salt since no particular study is cited.)
I think this is right if it means we are not actually exerting pulling force on the crank arm during the upstroke. We are pulling up against all the forces that are working to push it down. The weight of our legs, the geometry of our legs and position on the bike and such. Without the effort to pull the leg up, we would be exerting more downward force than we are.
Old 06-22-11, 10:15 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ciocc_cat

Tell the researcher to ride with a Power Tap or other type of watt meter. Ride for 10 minutes at your regular cadence at your mid Z3 pace and record your average watts. Take a 10 minute break then ride another 10 minutes at Z3 at your regular cadence but this time concentrate on putting power into every part of your pedal stroke. Compare the average watts from the two efforts. I'll bet they will say there is a difference in average watts for the same effort and that we should pedal in circles if we want more speed at the same effort. I'm not a scientist or researcher but I have done the experiment and I concentrate on putting power into the entire pedal stroke.
Old 06-23-11, 03:50 AM
just keep riding

These are not necessarily conflicting positions.
Old 06-23-11, 09:43 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Tell the researcher to ride with a Power Tap or other type of watt meter. Ride for 10 minutes at your regular cadence at your mid Z3 pace and record your average watts. Take a 10 minute break then ride another 10 minutes at Z3 at your regular cadence but this time concentrate on putting power into every part of your pedal stroke. Compare the average watts from the two efforts. I'll bet they will say there is a difference in average watts for the same effort and that we should pedal in circles if we want more speed at the same effort. I'm not a scientist or researcher but I have done the experiment and I concentrate on putting power into the entire pedal stroke.
My experience too however.... Power produced is directly proportional to our ability to get oxygen to the muscles and use it. So once our power exceeds our available oxygen, it is checkmate. IMO, having a great pedal stroke is about de-emphasizing the use of the quads and emphasizing the use of the glutes (which get great blood flow) and contribution from the hams and hip flexors. Hypo...two riders in the peloton and one is pedaling smoothly and keeping his feet in the top of his shoes. He is optimizing his hams, hip flexors and glutes with minimal use of the quads. The other is spinning slower and mashing away using his quads and glutes. The peloton comes to a bump in the road and the power for both riders goes to 400 watts. The first rider now engages his fresher quads more while the other rider has to continue mashing putting even more work into his quads. As the miles go on, the rider who has a better pedals stroke has less fatigue at the end than the masher.

The key point is the more you can use your glutes (ass) and the quads less, for the same power there is less fatigue because the glutes get better blood flow. Does your ass ever get tired? My ass does not but my quads die like dogs.
Old 06-23-11, 12:50 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
My experience too however.... Power produced is directly proportional to our ability to get oxygen to the muscles and use it. So once our power exceeds our available oxygen, it is checkmate. IMO, having a great pedal stroke is about de-emphasizing the use of the quads and emphasizing the use of the glutes (which get great blood flow) and contribution from the hams and hip flexors. Hypo...two riders in the peloton and one is pedaling smoothly and keeping his feet in the top of his shoes. He is optimizing his hams, hip flexors and glutes with minimal use of the quads. The other is spinning slower and mashing away using his quads and glutes. The peloton comes to a bump in the road and the power for both riders goes to 400 watts. The first rider now engages his fresher quads more while the other rider has to continue mashing putting even more work into his quads. As the miles go on, the rider who has a better pedals stroke has less fatigue at the end than the masher.

The key point is the more you can use your glutes (ass) and the quads less, for the same power there is less fatigue because the glutes get better blood flow. Does your ass ever get tired? My ass does not but my quads die like dogs.
Actually, yes, my ass gets tired. As I work to pedal circles through more of my ride, I'm using my glutes more than I used to and those muscles just fatigue easier because they aren't as toned. I figure that with time they'll get in better shape and it will be a net gain, but for now this is actually something of a challenge.
Old 06-23-11, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Step 1: Put a 52" fixed gear on your bike
Step 2: Take it to the top of a long steep descent (many miles)
Step 3: Get on, clip in
Step 4: Proceed all the way down the hill (at top speed, of course)
Step 5: survive

Congratulations! You can now pedal in circles!

SP
Bend, OR
Old 06-23-11, 01:45 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud
Spin in circles till it's tiring. Ride. Spin again. Mash. Spin whenever you can. Keep working at it consciously. It may take quite a while to get it under control because the leg muscles used aren't balanced for spinning by normal walking, but it will come after some hundreds of miles.
This is a pretty good description of my present situation. Well, the part about working at it consciously...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.