Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Recurring Dreams of Freedom

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-11, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Before I retired a couple of years ago and as my professional life became increasingly demanding and stressful, my exercise level and physical condition dropped and my weight ballooned. I had a recurring dream in which I was running fast, without effort and without stop; not running from something, just running.

This afternoon, I captured that feeling but in reality as I was spinning along a 10 mile mostly straight section of my ride, with a 15+ mph wind at my back. I was 22-23 mph with very little effort and little felt wind when it occurred to me that this was the dream, speed, almost floating, no pursuit, no pursuers.

Unfortunately the dream ended when I turned around and had to beat back the same 10 miles against the wind.
Old 12-19-11, 07:31 PM
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Truth.
Old 12-19-11, 07:33 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I am always cautious when I feel myself going fast with no wind in my face. But, it is fun while it lasts. Sadly, there are no free rides, despite my prayers for a 180 degree wind shift!!

Nice story.
Old 12-19-11, 08:59 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TomD77
Before I retired a couple of years ago and as my professional life became increasingly demanding and stressful, my exercise level and physical condition dropped and my weight ballooned. I had a recurring dream in which I was running fast, without effort and without stop; not running from something, just running.

This afternoon, I captured that feeling but in reality as I was spinning along a 10 mile mostly straight section of my ride, with a 15+ mph wind at my back. I was 22-23 mph with very little effort and little felt wind when it occurred to me that this was the dream, speed, almost floating, no pursuit, no pursuers.

Unfortunately the dream ended when I turned around and had to beat back the same 10 miles against the wind.
Back when I had a similar professional life I used to dream of effortless flying. I loved those dreams. Riding downwind comes close.
Old 12-19-11, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I am always cautious when I feel myself going fast with no wind in my face. But, it is fun while it lasts. Sadly, there are no free rides, despite my prayers for a 180 degree wind shift!!

Nice story.
Quite apart from what every cyclist knows about the wind (there are no tailwinds, only those times when we feel strong and headwinds), it is possible to ride a loop and have nothing but tailwinds. You just have to live somewhere where the hills reverse the prevailing wind along their flanks. I used to use the effect the coast range has on the delta breeze in NorCal to enjoy full tailwind rides and can often make the same thing happen here in the Willamette Valley.

Some places even have a convenient wind pattern that actually does reverse itself and both the Sacramento and Willamette Valleys have that feature in the summer.
Old 12-19-11, 09:38 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TomD77

I really dig that TomD77!
Old 12-19-11, 09:45 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, in 40 years of cycling I've had two significant tailwind episodes. The first was when I rode a 1000 km brevet that went from Abbotsford, BC to Kelowna, BC, then dropped down into Washington state, just about to Wenatchee, and then back to Abbotsford via Snohomish. We got tailwinds as we rode east to Hope. When we made the left turn to ride up the Coquihalla, the wind shifted and blew us north along the climb to the Coquihalla summit. After descending to Merritt, the wind shifted again to blow us again due east over the Pennask summit and down into Kelowna. And then when we turned south towards the US as night fell, the wind shifted to be at our backs again. The only downside was what befell the guys that were a couple of hours behind us; they got caught in a September blizzard over the Pennask summit and some had to abandon.

The second time was on the final day of a weekend where I'd ridden a 300 km brevet in Victoria, BC. I took the ferry to San Juan island and rode around, and then on the final day I took the ferry to Whidbey Island. From there, on the approach to Mt. Vernon, WA, it's a straight shot northwest to Canada, about 100 km to the border. It was raining, so I wasn't too happy about spending four hours getting wet, but I had a ferocious tailwind that day that blew me all the way to the border. I hardly felt any rain, at least in my face. One of the nicer rain rides I've done!

L.
Old 12-19-11, 11:33 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good story, TomD; I can relate to the fulfillment on two wheels. It's what keeps me coming back for more.

I've lived in five states, stayed in three others, lived in Europe for three years; I'm at home on a bike.

Sweet as tailwinds are, there comes a time when the headwinds are no longer an issue, just part of the ride.
Old 12-20-11, 06:27 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Riding without the chain. That feeling is the one goal I have every year. A great feeling.