Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50 and Overheating

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

50 and Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 04:34 AM

Bikes: Argon Gallium, E-112, Trek Boone, Specialized Epic Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50 and Overheating

I really enjoy riding since I joined a club in the early spring this year, I have not had a big issue keeping up with the average rider in the club, however since the humidity and heat soared up since last weekend I am a bit concerned if I should only ride on cooler days. I am worried I will not be able to manage the century ride in August since I may not have enough distance riding under my belt.
Last weekend (90km 56m) it was 34c / 93f and the early part of the ride went smoothly, as it got closer to noon it got very hot and humid. Many big hills still to climb.
I may have overlooked some key items for riding in the heat.
Started with a foot cramp, though it was due to new shoes and clips, then lower back pain started which lead to neck and then a pounding headache. Then my calf’s did not cramp but got very painful. I thought I had not drank enough, but I had downed 1-/12 bottles of water, 1 Hammer formulated and the order was Gatorade. I topped up my hammer drink with fresh water as we passed through a town. I slowed down to a crawl, for the rest of the hills and to conserve what I had left.
I was so glad to make it back to the car, got off my bike I was so dizzy I used the car to work my way around on onto my car seat.

This weekend I froze one bottle of water, half froze one Gatorade, and loaded another bottle with Heed drink with ice cubes and some water. For energy I took a Hammer Gel, Fig bars, and saltine crackers for extra salt because I don’t use salt in my diet, a snickers bar for extra sugar and nuts & salt (does not sit well in stomach).
I did a ride with very few hills but the heat and humidity was still there, the early stretch went well I took drinks about every 15-20min, about 45min into the ride I took in a couple fig bars and crackers about 23mils into the ride we took a good rest in the shade and I took in the snickers bar and finished my Heed drink. I switched to my Gatorade bottle for the ride back and noticed the water bottle was still cool but not frozen.
About 10miles into the return trip it got extremely hot, my head felt like it was cooking whenever I put any extra effort in, I quickly doused my head with some water I had, I felt a lot better after that, I was amaze how much better I felt. Soon after that I me up with the rest of the pack in the shade for a re-group.

What can I do to last longer or improve my ride, I noticed others just keep going and hardly touch their drinks.
I am 50, 5’10 and 160lbs. I have lost 80lbs in the last year and a half, if this makes A DIFFERENCE.
Old 07-12-11, 04:50 AM

Bikes: Giant Seek1, Rocky Mountain Hammer 29er, Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the weight loss! I turned 50 2 weeks ago and am on vacation in the Philippines for 1 month and biking daily (3-5 hours). My experience in the tropics is to get acclimated to the heat. Takes a week or two for the body to adjust, so try to ride daily to get adjusted. I rely on my camelback to keep a supply of water going. You may also want try hydrating a few hours before the ride. In any case, I always trust my body and take breaks if needed.
Old 07-12-11, 05:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Keith

I rode 25K last night in the heat and humidity, it's not quite the same as the country roads with the heat coming off the road. But just the same the waterfront trails were empty except for a few riders.
Old 07-12-11, 05:51 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not recommended nowadays but Salt Tablets.

Many years ago and I was working in the sun- heat and Humidity in France. Used to travel to the area and at 1pm I was there and ready to start work. Except I couldn't It was a long time to unload the van and prepare for an afternoons driving and sorting on the track. Then one year I aquired salt tablets. Took one when I arrived at 1--By 2 the van was unloaded and were on the track sorting for the next day. I was finished by 4- back ayt the hotel by 6 and in for dinner by 7. The other teams could not start parctice till it cooled down at 6. Don't think they had dinner that night.

Salt is frowned upon but it does work. One of my mates sugffered Heat stroke that weekend and he had to lie under a tap to cool down. I got him to take a salt tablet and 30 minutes later he was fine.

Now on rides and if it is going to be humid I take Marmite sandwiches. Marmite has most of the essential salts in it and does aid at the point where you begin to suffer. If you take it before the suffering starts---you won't realise how close you were to it.,

Spike Milligan
Old 07-12-11, 05:58 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Awesome on losing the 80 lbs. I thought I was doing good losing 25 over a 10 month period. Being from Central Florida, we have the heat and humidity almost all year long. Before I started cycling, I could stay outdoors for quite a long time and handle it pretty well. However, I wasn't doing any type of exercise or much of anything else except walking or just standing. If I did anything other than walking or standing, I would really feel it and had to go inside and cool down within a matter of minutes. When I started cycling, almost two years ago, I had the same issues that you are having now. I'll be 65 in October. I don't know if this will work for you, but this is what I did to help overcome the heat and humidity:

I started riding short (5 to 10 mile) rides everyday in the late afternoon when the heat was at it's highest index. The rides started off slow paced (6-9 mph) in the beginning and increased as I got more comfortable with riding in the heat. The longer, harder rides were done in the early morning when it was much cooler. I can now ride 2 to 3 hours in the heat and humidity and not get any cramps or other problems other than it can wear me out at times if I get too aggressive in the ride.

I purchased a clamp on water bottle cage for my seat tube that I use when I ride distance rides in the heat. This gives me three bottles that I have to draw from. One bottle is plain water, the second is electrolytes (I use ZippLite that I get from Sam's Club) and the third is a mix of water and Hammer Perpetuem. I thought about a Camelback but then decided against it as I didn't want that extra weight on my back while riding a road bike in an already angled position. I constantly fill the water bottle so I always have water and I also take an extra tube or two of ZippLite on the rides so I always have electrolytes. The advantage of an electrolyte mix over Gatorade is that when the Gatorade is gone, you either stop at a store and get more or you are out for the rest of the ride. The mixes come in small tubes and you can take several of them with you. The Perpeteum is a quick recovery drink that I take a few sips of every 30 min. or so. It also reduces the lactic acid that causes the leg cramps. I also do a short leg stretching exercise at each stop that lasts more than 5 minutes. I use GU Gel packs and GU Chomps during the ride for quick energy boosts. All this goes into a small handlebar bag that other roadies think looks dumb on a road bike, but who cares what they think.

Also, I checked with my doctor and did a blood test to see where my potassium levels were at. Since they were normal, I started taking 99 mg of potassium each day. I don't get the leg cramps any more, on or off the bike. Make sure that you check with your doctor before taking potassium supplements because it could cause hyerkalemia, which causes cardiac arrhythmia's.

As I said, this is what worked for me but you will also hear what worked for others, as well. My opinion is to try one or more of the suggestions and see what works for you. Try combining some of the suggestions to see if that works even better for you. Don't rush it, you still have plenty of time to get in the training for the century ride. Get yourself acclimated to riding in the heat and high humidity and the rest will follow. Don't concern yourself too much about falling behind younger more experienced riders every once in a while. At some point in their riding history, they were where you are at now. The objective of most of these group century rides is to finish and crossing that line is one hell of a feeling of accomplishment.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-12-11, 06:00 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
What are you wearing and have you tried any "wicking" material jerseys? I have stopped at road crossings to chat with someone for just a couple of minutes. The sweat will begin to flow. Starting back into the ride and it feels like the airconditioner kicked in. Yes the stuff works.
Old 07-12-11, 06:16 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
have you tried any "wicking" material jerseys
This is very important and my previous post assumed that you are wearing the correct riding apparel.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-12-11, 06:27 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Shreck
I did a ride with very few hills but the heat and humidity was still there, the early stretch went well I took drinks about every 15-20min, about 45min into the ride I took in a couple fig bars and crackers about 23mils into the ride we took a good rest in the shade and I took in the snickers bar and finished my Heed drink. I switched to my Gatorade bottle for the ride back and noticed the water bottle was still cool but not frozen.
When its hot and humid I drink a bottle of water, gatorade, etc. about every 10-12 miles.
Finish off the bottles and refill them at a water fountain, convenience store, etc more often. If theres no place to refill them get a 70 or 100 oz Camelbak so you have plenty of fluids on your rides.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-12-11, 06:58 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I'm told that once you've been overcooked a time or two, you're more susceptable to heat sickness thereafter. I've been seriously overheated a number of times, the first when I was around 18. I now avoid riding on the hottest days.
Old 07-12-11, 07:17 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Well done on the weight loss Shreck. I'm in about the same situation as you. I hope to do a club century in September. My fitness and ability to ride distances is continually rising but whether it will be good enough for a century (without undue suffering) is uncertain. I'm not too concerned about this - if not this year then next. There is a 75 mile option I can do that peels off from the longer ride. Also, the ability to ride longer distances without cramping is improving. As long as I'm seeing improvement I'm satisfied.

For riding in the heat, most of us have learned the tactic of freezing water bottles. For rides of 50 to 60 miles, I also slip fleece mittens over the two bottles on the bike and drink the bottle in the jersey pocket. The fleece keeps hot ambient air from flowing over the water bottle and from warming up before they are empty. It's a treat to have a very cold drink four or more hours into a ride.
Old 07-12-11, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,049 Times in 4,479 Posts
Don't worry about how much others drink, you have to do what works for you. I almost always drink more than people I ride with and will easily drink a litre an hour on a hot day. On long climbing days I have downed over 200 ounces and still lost weight.
I weigh myself after hot rides to help gage dehydration.
Old 07-12-11, 07:34 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I really enjoy riding since I joined a club in the early spring this year, I have not had a big issue keeping up with the average rider in the club, however since the humidity and heat soared up since last weekend I am a bit concerned if I should only ride on cooler days. I am worried I will not be able to manage the century ride in August since I may not have enough distance riding under my belt.
Last weekend (90km 56m) it was 34c / 93f and the early part of the ride went smoothly, as it got closer to noon it got very hot and humid. Many big hills still to climb.
I may have overlooked some key items for riding in the heat.
Started with a foot cramp, though it was due to new shoes and clips, then lower back pain started which lead to neck and then a pounding headache. Then my calf’s did not cramp but got very painful. I thought I had not drank enough, but I had downed 1-/12 bottles of water, 1 Hammer formulated and the order was Gatorade. I topped up my hammer drink with fresh water as we passed through a town. I slowed down to a crawl, for the rest of the hills and to conserve what I had left.
I was so glad to make it back to the car, got off my bike I was so dizzy I used the car to work my way around on onto my car seat.

This weekend I froze one bottle of water, half froze one Gatorade, and loaded another bottle with Heed drink with ice cubes and some water. For energy I took a Hammer Gel, Fig bars, and saltine crackers for extra salt because I don’t use salt in my diet, a snickers bar for extra sugar and nuts & salt (does not sit well in stomach).
About 10miles into the return trip it got extremely hot, my head felt like it was cooking whenever I put any extra effort in, I quickly doused my head with some water I had, I felt a lot better after that, I was amaze how much better I felt. Soon after that I me up with the rest of the pack in the shade for a re-group.

What can I do to last longer or improve my ride, I noticed others just keep going and hardly touch their drinks.
I am 50, 5’10 and 160lbs. I have lost 80lbs in the last year and a half, if this makes A DIFFERENCE.
Dizzy usually is an indicator of dehydration, you need to make sure you keep at least one bottle that is water only, better is water and ice, also a good investment is a doo rag, basically it's a piece of specially cut cloth, that you tie over your head, before putting your helmet on. Most of them are polyester these days, and they will soak up sweat from your head, which it then evaporates through the vents, although sometimes they can fill up and then just pull over, take off your helmet and rag, wring it out and re-install. Doo-rags can also be helpful doing yard work, because they keep the sun off your head and soak up the sweat. They can also be helpful in spring/fall to keep your helmet from being over vented....

For those that live elsewhere, Southern Ontario is infamous for having one day where it's clear and 15℃ (60℉) and the next day it's 30℃(86℉) with humidity feeling somewhere beyond 40C (104F), so there is no chance to get used to the change before it occurs.
Old 07-12-11, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Each individual perspires different amounts in different conditions. For me, I need to drink between 12 & 16 ounces of water every hour in moderate heat. When it gets above 90 degrees, I need to drink 20 to 24 ounces per hour. While cool drinks have appeal in hot weather, your body absorbs water quicker when it is closer to your own body temp. Hence, I never ride with ice in my water bottles.
Old 07-12-11, 07:49 AM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Are you starting out hydrated? Playing catch up in the heat is a losing game. This is most important. I race motocross (at 52) and suffered from vision issues and dizzyness. Took a race school and he started out with how to be ready to race. HYDRATE! was his mantra. Then it was fuel in that order.
Old 07-12-11, 08:04 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I try to drink one bottle of fluids per hour of riding on normal days and will increase the rate on hot days. I broke my own rules last Saturday in a 44 mile hilly race when it was 92 degrees. I decided to race with only 2 bottles of Gatorade with 3 electrolyte capsules in each bottle in order to save some weight for the big hill climbs. A dumb decision since the first 13 miles was a rolling/flat lap that took us back through the start/finish and I could have consumed a whole bottle by then. Normally I would put the 3rd bottle in my back pocket. Luck would have it the race started on a historic pretty brick street then crossed a RR track and 1 minute into the race one of the two bottles launched from the bottle cage. I made a poor decision to ration the fluid from the one bottle over the 44 mile race. Two thirds into the race I was cramping in the hamstrings had to let the pack go, finished the bottle and really struggled the rest of the race back to the finish. I drank everything I could after the race yet still was getting cramps while sleeping. Nothing like being awakened in the middle of the night with both hamstrings cramping while you are rolling on the floor.

Sunday marked the third race of the weekend with a crit. After 4 laps my hamstring began to cramp and I abandoned the race. Not a good weekend at all.
Old 07-12-11, 08:27 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I was having trouble following how far you rode and how much you drank, but I got the impression you were drinking far less than I would. Riding in heat and humidity takes some acclimation and some of us adjust to it better than others. Drink plenty before you ride and drink at least a bottle per hour while you ride. Make sure to add in some electrolytes via drinks, gels or supplements if you are riding more than a couple of hours. Most people can adjust to riding in heat if they ease into it and take in what the body needs.
Old 07-12-11, 10:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two weeks ago on the ride must have been in a daze, where we stopped and I commented on one of the riders putting fresh Gatorade in his water bottle and he commented that there is not enough salt in the drinks. However I noted he also carries a banana as do other club members.
I was going to take a banana for my low potassium but they do not agree with me, I take supplements instead.

Electrolytes,
I have tablets, can I add these to Gatorade or is that overkill.
On Sunday’s ride I did some leg stretches while I was waiting for the other riders to show up at Tim Horton’s, over the last few years I seem to get a lot of leg cramps but mostly in my right calf. But since riding they have backed off but the calf is often tingling like a cramp is getting ready to take you down.

John V
I have one of those handle bar bags, quite handy, noting worse than taking stuff out of your back pocket and it is all sweaty.
I have found that since I have joined my endurance is not a good as it used to be, I used to work out doing crunched and work outs 3-4 times a week. Possibly I don’t ride enough.

MaddMax ("wicking" material jerseys?)
I was wearing a cheap jersy from MEC, as I thought it was going to be a cool morning, I have a Gore jersey, but last time I rode through that area (Newcastle waterfront) I got the chills. I just purchased a new jersey and bib shorts just before the last ride, same as the Radioshack tour du france outfit. Funny some club members though It was bad luck for my choice of jersey. Hope those guys are doing ok.

I put an extra bottle holder on my handlebars up front in my face so I try to drink a gulp every 15 minutes, funny I find it hard to swallow cold water sometimes. I have scar tissue in my throat from bad acid reflex, that could be the reason.

Berner
I like you idea, fleece over the water bottles. I thought about foil, but since you brought up the idea. I was thinking of making a sleeve to slip over my frozen bottle made from foil/bubble duct wrap. I use it in my back pack to keep mu lunch cold. My ice packs are still near frozen at the end of the day.
I typically loose 3lbs after a long ride; Sunday ride was just slightly more weight loss because of the heat. But for the ride I had trouble with I came home with the same weight, weird! Did I drink too much?

Wogster
I have a do rag for working on my cars, and I took one on a ride and really I though they wore them in the spring to keep their heads warm. Now I see some don’t have any hair on top. What was I to think? They still wear them even in the heat.
If I drink cold water is should cool down a bit, but I don’t understand drinking room temperature water. What is more beneficial?

“Are you starting out hydrated?”
Sunday I made sure, I was peeing clear. Not sure about the disaster ride two weeks ago.

Thanks Guys,
I have to analyze all this information and see what works for me.
Old 07-12-11, 10:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old clean sport sock over a water bottle works as well for a cooling sleeve, just keep it a little damp as you ride and the water stays cool.
Old 07-12-11, 11:04 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shreck, you need to be far more 'aggressive' with your hydration and electolytes, as you are clearly on the ragged edge. Drinking only every 15 minutes just doesn't cut it. As you get in better and better shape, your system will not be as taxed, and you will consume less, but you have to let your body tell you that is happening. I ride often in temps of 110+. Here are the 'rules' I've gradually developed for high heat:

A. Have at least two bottles of water available for every hour of riding
B. Never, ever, allow yourself to "ration" water to make it last
C. Sipping is okay when it's cooler... when it's hot, take big gulps.
D. Never stop drinking
E. Overdo the electrolytes! Whether you mix it in your water, or take capsules, keep up the intake. You should taste salt in your sweat, and see it wherever your sweat has dried on your kit. And it's not just salt - use a balanced electrolyte source.
F. As you noted, cold water on your head makes a huge difference. So does squirting some down the back and front of your jersey. Carry enough water that you can do this as you ride, anytime you are feeling the heat.
G. In the heat, it's really easy to not eat; to stop taking in the calories. This is bad... keep up the calories. From your post, you are NOT eating enough, which will cause you to lag as you get into the ride. Take in 150-450 calories (people have widely different needs/tolerances) per hour. A gel is maybe 90 calories...
H. Don't hesitate to stop if you need to, but, if you handle things right, you won't need to, other than to refill your water.
I. Plan your route, know where you can refill, and carry enough to get you through the longest period without rationing.
J. It may not look cool, but a hydration pack, along with your bottles, makes it easy to both carry enough, and to constantly sip.
K. Use jumbo, insulated water bottles, like these: https://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recre...hill-25oz.aspx The extra size, and the insulation, both make a big difference.

Hydration and nutrition are huge factors in performance, whether you are racing, training, or out on a club ride.
Old 07-12-11, 11:06 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sunday I made sure, I was peeing clear. Not sure about the disaster ride two weeks ago.
If you are prehydrating, take electrolytes, or you risk flushing them out of your system.
Old 07-12-11, 12:04 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Your experience may be different, but I find it much easier to stay well hydrated by avoiding cold water in favor of the nasty old tepid sun baked stuff. When the liquid is cold too little of it seems enough.
Old 07-12-11, 12:21 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Two weeks ago on the ride must have been in a daze, where we stopped and I commented on one of the riders putting fresh Gatorade in his water bottle and he commented that there is not enough salt in the drinks. However I noted he also carries a banana as do other club members.
I was going to take a banana for my low potassium but they do not agree with me, I take supplements instead.

Electrolytes,
I have tablets, can I add these to Gatorade or is that overkill.
On Sunday’s ride I did some leg stretches while I was waiting for the other riders to show up at Tim Horton’s, over the last few years I seem to get a lot of leg cramps but mostly in my right calf. But since riding they have backed off but the calf is often tingling like a cramp is getting ready to take you down.

John V
I have one of those handle bar bags, quite handy, noting worse than taking stuff out of your back pocket and it is all sweaty.
I have found that since I have joined my endurance is not a good as it used to be, I used to work out doing crunched and work outs 3-4 times a week. Possibly I don’t ride enough.

MaddMax ("wicking" material jerseys?)
I was wearing a cheap jersy from MEC, as I thought it was going to be a cool morning, I have a Gore jersey, but last time I rode through that area (Newcastle waterfront) I got the chills. I just purchased a new jersey and bib shorts just before the last ride, same as the Radioshack tour du france outfit. Funny some club members though It was bad luck for my choice of jersey. Hope those guys are doing ok.

I put an extra bottle holder on my handlebars up front in my face so I try to drink a gulp every 15 minutes, funny I find it hard to swallow cold water sometimes. I have scar tissue in my throat from bad acid reflex, that could be the reason.

Your not getting anywhere near enough water, a water bottle is roughly ¾L, you should drink 1L/hour as a minimum, yes that's a minimum, in hot weather, even more is acceptable. You need a sip every couple of minutes, you need one bottle that is easy to get to, and that can be put into the cage without looking. If your ride is 2hrs, then you need 3 bottles as a minimum. What I do is bottle A goes on top of the down tube (it will be just water), , bottle B on the seat tube which I fill with ice-cubes and top up. If I need more I carry a couple of 1L pop bottles and fill those 3/4 with water and freeze them. When Bottle A is empty, I will pull off and swap those bottles, when bottle B is also empty, I break into my stash and refill them, by then most of the ice is thawed and I can empty those into the bike bottles.

Berner
I like you idea, fleece over the water bottles. I thought about foil, but since you brought up the idea. I was thinking of making a sleeve to slip over my frozen bottle made from foil/bubble duct wrap. I use it in my back pack to keep mu lunch cold. My ice packs are still near frozen at the end of the day.
I typically loose 3lbs after a long ride; Sunday ride was just slightly more weight loss because of the heat. But for the ride I had trouble with I came home with the same weight, weird! Did I drink too much?

Wogster
I have a do rag for working on my cars, and I took one on a ride and really I though they wore them in the spring to keep their heads warm. Now I see some don’t have any hair on top. What was I to think? They still wear them even in the heat.
If I drink cold water is should cool down a bit, but I don’t understand drinking room temperature water. What is more beneficial?

Thanks Guys,
I have to analyze all this information and see what works for me.

Some more info, most people have more then enough salt in their diet, salt is a cheap preservative, so lots of pre-packaged foods contain lots, so eat something that contains salt, and your good to go.
Old 07-12-11, 12:52 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You folks do know they make insulated bottles now?

https://www.amazon.com/Polar-Insulate.../dp/B000F7Z0KI
Old 07-12-11, 01:24 PM
DisMember

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix, 1984 Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Don't worry about how much others drink, you have to do what works for you. I almost always drink more than people I ride with and will easily drink a litre an hour on a hot day. On long climbing days I have downed over 200 ounces and still lost weight.
I weigh myself after hot rides to help gage dehydration.
Right, you won't over-hydrate. At the 40 mile stop of a metric century on a hot day I felt terrible until I downed 60 ounces of Gatorade. Didn't even start feeling good until two/thirds through that bolus, and did great for the rest of the ride.

My main concern in the heat at age 53 is heart attack. I'm sure you don't have to be advised to know the warning signs and to have at least an occasional relationship with a cardiologist.
Old 07-12-11, 02:01 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
B. Never, ever, allow yourself to "ration" water to make it last
C. Sipping is okay when it's cooler... when it's hot, take big gulps.
Funny just recently I was leading a moderate paced hike. It was unfortunately hot out (too hot for me really - I like cold weather) but I bought along lots of water and cautioned everyone to bring water and drink it (it's amazing to me how often I have to remind people to drink!). About half way through the hike one of the women was struggled and first thing i asked is "Are you drinking?" Her reply was "I am taking small sips". I told her she had to drink up, get some real water into her before she was thirsty. She then revealed to me she was rationing her water because she didn't want to have to pee out on the trail. I reminded her better to have to pee than be airlifted to a hospital by helicopter.

Sometimes we can all be so "penny wise and pound foolish" about things. I know my body and that it doesn't do well in heat. If I have control over my schedule I ride or hike early in the day or really late and I limit the effort. It's much better for me to do a short hike/ride and limit my level of endurance to survive another day than risk heat stroke trying to get in a hard 40 miles ride.

That said, staying hydrated takes preparation - I would cut out as much caffeine as possible. I would start drinking fluids days before. I would come up with an appropiate electrolyte replacement. I know for me, I can't do salt tabs or salty food but there are products that don't bother me. And i know this sounds counterproductive, but you must eat solid during a ride/ride to stay hydrated. The water needs food in the stomach to help with absorption. Empty stomach and the water washed right through. Great to keep around and chew on - fig bars or saltines/pretzels. If one finds themselves getting dizzy or crampy then one needs to realize heat is not their friend. Time to find a gym and go indoors.

Anyway listen to that Phoenix guy if anyone knows heat it would be him!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 07-12-11 at 02:04 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.