Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Starting to lose the desire to ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-12, 09:26 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm beginning to dread the next ride rather than looking forward to it. I'm doing an organized metric this weekend and am not excited about it. I used to eagerly anticipate the next ride, but each one is starting to feel like something I have to do to prepare for the next event. I want to complete my first century next February, and that not going happen unless I ride, ride, ride whether I want to or not, not, not.

I'm wondering if this is a passing phase or if I really do need a break. I feel busier than when I was working, the holidays are coming, and I want a few months of nothing on the calendar -- just putter in the house and garden. I've even considered returning to work just to get away from the multitude of new things that are now on my plate. I like to do a lot of different things and it seems that my days are so busy I don't take time to relax.

I just want to get up and ask myself: Shall I take a walk? A bike ride? Go to the gym? Work in the garden? Make a cake? Try a new recipe? Clean a room? Whatever -- just no goals, lists to keep, or things to remember!!

Last edited by Yen; 11-07-12 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-07-12, 09:42 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You can over-ride and it can be that century ride that is at the back of your mind. You HAVE to get out and ride to get fit enough for that one ride.

You don't.

With the mileage and training you have behind you you could easily swap a few training rides for "Smell the roses" jaunts. You could even go down the gym for a few weeks to give a change from your routine.

Earlier this year I did a 100 miler at night. The night bit was fun but I had just had a winter recovering from a knee problem and the weather definitely cut short any training I might have done. Cut a story short but I managed the ride and 70 miles at dawn I finished the ride at Brighton--And still had to do the other 30 home to do the Century. A route I usually did once a month with a break for coffee but there was no way I was going to stop. If I had- it would have been for a call for the sag wagon. (My Wife)

Seeing as how you are a "Recent" retiree like me- I know how the riding has become a compunction. You have to do it and my rides are infrequent now. Still get in around 100 miles a week- but I was hoping for 150. Too many jobs to do around the house and the garden.

So I suggest a break from training but still do a few rides- get down the gym- or turn over the veggie patch to find muscles you haven't used for years. Keep active and keep the fitness up till you feel ready to do that training metric at 20mph.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-07-12, 09:46 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Forget about the century.

Ride when you enjoy it.

Stay happy..............

Old 11-07-12, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can sympathize. Just keep in mind what I tell folks at the YMCA, it's easier to stay in shape than to get in shape. The longer you shy away from exercise, that harder it is to build that momentum again...especially at our age.
Old 11-07-12, 09:54 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
You've been riding lots. You have some health problems. You ain't 25 no more.

Slow down.

If it makes you feel better, here are my goals at the beginning of 2012 and a current scorecard:

Redbud Ride - last second cancel.
RAIN - fugedaboudit.
Old Kentucky Home Ride - no (out in Colorado visiting grandchildren)
Harvest Homecoming - OK, I did that one and it was pretty fun, but it was only a 40 miler.
LBC Famous Flaming Flat Century - rained out, and even if it wasn't I couldn't do it because my Pittsburg grandchildren were visiting. Gotta have proper priorities.
3000 mile goal - on track until this month. Too busy, too stressed, crappy weather, and some medical issues that have to be cleared up first.
Randonneuring career - one Populaire which I hated and thought was the most dangerous ride I've ever done. Not worth getting killed for some dopey little medal.

Old 11-07-12, 10:28 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My first impulse is to say not to to worry about training for the century. I've rode several centuries, some of which I trained seriously for and some I just got on my bike and rode.

However, my idea of a century differs from most other folks. I generally ride solo and unsupported so time is not an issue which eliminates one facet of training. I also do long distance rides on my LWB recumbent so body conditioning around saddle time and core strength for upright riding position is not an issue either.

For you Yen, I imagine that you might benefit from limiting your rides to recreational for a spell and resume training in earnest again when and if the motivation returns. I believe that as long as your body is strong enough to sit the saddle and support yourself in a comfortable riding position, the 100 miles will just roll by.
Old 11-07-12, 10:50 AM
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try and put fitness first these days. I like riding, so I use that most often, but I also run. I really try to make sure I am doing something each day that requires real workout effort (not just a walk and I call that a workout).

Just this weekend, on Saturday, a 55 year old friend of mine dropped dead from a heart attack. He was out of shape, you would even call him fat. He always had mountain dew on his desk, and a few more in the fridge. He always had a bag of some sort of snack around (chips, etc).

He had a wife and two kids. I remember chiding him several times to start some sort of fitness program, to realize what he was doing to himself. he always said he didnt have time. I wonder what he would say now?

I dont think it matters what you do, find a way to get a good solid hour of heart pumping exercise each day, no matter what, and eat accordingly.

Pick something else, and maybe in a month you will miss riding...who knows, just dont stop exercising.
Old 11-07-12, 11:12 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Never been a fan of organized rides or goals for the sake of goals. Just ride. Or bake a cake.
Old 11-07-12, 11:20 AM
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Nothing wrong with taking a break (after the metric, of course.) Sounds like you're in a season of change, and just need some time to sort things out.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 11-07-12, 11:34 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Forget about the century.

Ride when you enjoy it.

Stay happy..............
I don't always agree with 10 Wheels, but when I do, we must both be right.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-07-12, 11:38 AM
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by Doohickie
I agree with Doohicke...........

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 11-07-12 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-07-12, 11:48 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cycling is a very time-consuming activity. Compared to running, you probably need to put in three times the amount of time in order to achieve the same level of training. This is why some people regard themselves as "cyclists." It becomes a passionate lifestyle, and the time commitment is never questioned. If you're not passionate about it, then you need to take a break.

One thing that might help is to just keep a training diary. Just keep track of how far you went and how long you were on the bike. I just copy the readings off my Sigma bike computer, and I can go back and tell you exactly what I did on any given day back to around the year 2000. I also keep track of brake pad and chain replacement dates and odo readings, so I can tell you how long various components have lasted before they have either broken or worn out, but then I tend to be kind of at the insane level when it comes to record-keeping.

But keeping a diary also tends to make you feel guilty about missing a day. If you're still intending to do that century, then just go out for an hour or less each day, and record it. When you do the century, you're not going to be doing 100 miles all at once. You're going to be doing three or four 25- to 30-mile rides between food stops. And having a record of how much training you've put in will give you enough confidence that you can eventually cover the entire distance.

You can also try retaping the bars, or buying a small component upgrade, or buying a new jersey or something. That might get you more motivated. But that kind of thing only goes so far; n+1 is not really a sustainable strategy.

Luis
Old 11-07-12, 11:51 AM

Bikes: 2013 BMC GRAN FONDO GF01, 2010 SPECIALIZED ROUBAIX, 2004 TREK FX7000, 2013 SPECIALIZED ALLEZ

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when's the last time you just rode your bike just for fun? no mileage goals, no organized ride, no timetable....just ride. I ride my Roubaix, on average 3x a week, 125 or miles, week in and week out. But, when I get burned out, I pull the Trek hybrid down. Put on some mountain bike shorts, t-shirt, old helmet and head for the beach bike path for a 'stop and smell the roses' ride.
Old 11-07-12, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Skip the "events", and just ride.
Old 11-07-12, 11:59 AM
Galveston County Texas

New Bar Tape helped me:

1/2 price right now.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...ODUCT.ID=32175

Old 11-07-12, 12:03 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by peckma
when's the last time you just rode your bike just for fun? no mileage goals, no organized ride, no timetable....just ride. I ride my Roubaix, on average 3x a week, 125 or miles, week in and week out. But, when I get burned out, I pull the Trek hybrid down. Put on some mountain bike shorts, t-shirt, old helmet and head for the beach bike path for a 'stop and smell the roses' ride.

+1

THere are rides and there are rides. Take some time off and don't feel guilty. Go for a ride or two on a different bike and don't bring the cyclocomputer along. You don't need to know how many miles you covered or how fast. Stop somewhere for coffee or lunch or whatever.
Old 11-07-12, 12:04 PM

Bikes: 2013 BMC GRAN FONDO GF01, 2010 SPECIALIZED ROUBAIX, 2004 TREK FX7000, 2013 SPECIALIZED ALLEZ

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why stop at bar tape? maybe time for n+1?
Old 11-07-12, 12:06 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I myself did many organized rides from 92-2004. I actually got burned out having to time my "training" and prep for those specific days, as if I had to ride. I rarrely do an organized ride anymore, we just ride.

Not to mention, you haven't done GMR (that I recall). There is a reason we and several others do it, it's just a great cycling experience and adds another dimension to riding. Do it, you won't be bored and you will want to do it again, and again. I tell everyone it's a different attitude up there, all the riders are encouraging. When you make the village, you'll want to do that again and again as well.

I've seen you do Baldy Rd and you are a very good climber, GMR won't be much of a challenge but it is a different experience. You can see in the video the guys passing us at the start are very friendly (not in our group). GMR riders are more of "you can do it" type riders vs the "I can beat you" type riders we meet on the lower lands.

It's a different experience, ask any one of the Clyde/Athena forum riders in the video

21 mile climb 4300ft, 5,000 ft roundtrip. Lots of scenerey and serenity

Old 11-07-12, 12:28 PM

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe, '73/60 Raleigh Sports

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
New Bar Tape helped me:

1/2 price right now.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...ODUCT.ID=32175
Nice tape!
Old 11-07-12, 12:28 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
If I was doing "events" I would start dreading it too. Try riding for fun. Pick a route/destination with a nice lunch spot midway.
Old 11-07-12, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,042 Times in 4,475 Posts
A benefit of riding with the club is there is always someone to ride with, even when I don't feel like it. I'm always glad when I finally get on the bike. If I get tired of club rides I go solo or with 2 or 3 friends.
Another thing is when I get tired of road rides I go off-road.

I used to do a lot of events but now I am very selective and only do the ones I know are going to be fun. I have a lot of base so I can get ready for a century pretty quick.
Old 11-07-12, 01:45 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
You might need to build in a cooling off period into your riding. Here in New England, I ski during winter and ride my bike much less. This past summer I also walked at the local state park which I also enjoy doing and used slightly different muscles. If I travel to the mountains for a much more strenuous hiking experience, then many more different muscles are used much and much harder also. Pro athletes also do something similar that they call cross training. I think the idea is to promote balance.
Old 11-07-12, 02:12 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone - I new I'd find a lot of empathy here.

I reluctantly joined the group ride this morning and had a great time as usual. No matter how I feel before the ride, I never regret actually doing the ride.

I like the suggestions to take a break from training and just go out and ride for fun, or do something else. I think I need to take some fun rides on my Surly LHT; that's my hop-on-and-go fun bike. Next week looks good for Hubby and me to take some fun rides for coffee or try a new place for lunch.

Mr. Beanz: Funny you should mention GMR: This morning, while contemplating some time off the bike, I remembered that I was planning to start riding GMR very soon. GMR to the village is on my bucket list. I do LOVE to climb and look forward to the next hill. (Oh -- I will be riding the Tour de Foothills metric this weekend!! I'll look for you on Baldy Rd!)

I've taken a very strategic approach to getting fit and catching up with my fellow riders to train for upcoming events that we do together. I love the camaraderie of riding with our group. I am also goal-oriented, and perhaps I need a rest from the Garmin and the data and numbers. That's useful while training, but I'll leave it home next week.
Old 11-07-12, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,042 Times in 4,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
I need a rest from the Garmin and the data and numbers.
I haven't even used a speedometer for 10 years now. No electronics on any of my bikes.
Old 11-07-12, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I don't always agree with Doohickie. But when I do, I have a Dos Equis.

Stay thirsty my friends!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.