Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ride Tomorrow.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ride Tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-13, 02:55 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ride Tomorrow.

Just had our best day of the year for weather. The sun appeared and providing you could get out of the wind-it was almost "T" shirt time. That only happened for about 5 minutes but it did show me that there is a possibility of summer being on its way. It was not only me being happy about the weather- my neighbour came over and asked if I was riding tomorrow. Tomorrow does "promise" to be a better day as the wind will come round from the South hence losing the wind chill factor. It might even come down to around 15 mph aswell so it looks like a ride is on.

Only problem is that this will be the first ride since I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. Now on Ramipril and I don't know how this is going to affect me. Along with the fact that I am just in the final throes of a cold that has hit the chest so I reckon it will be a slow ride to check out if the body still works. Will have to wait and see how I feel tomorrow but it may be a nice gentle ride for coffee or it may involve a couple of hills to really find out how much the spinning has helped over the winter.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-06-13, 04:40 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Sounds good Stap, hope the weather holds up and you get in a great days ride. A report will of course, be mandatory afterwards.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-06-13, 04:43 PM
Climbing Above It All

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You've got to get out to take advantage of the good weather. A nice easy ride will not only help your BP but also adjust your winter blahs to the better.
Old 04-07-13, 04:51 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
This time of the year is a time for renewal around here. Last week I did three rides for a total of 65 mi. at about 13 mph. Yesterday my gf and I did a 26.5 mi. ride that was hillier than my previous rides again at 13 mph. It's all about getting reacquainted with the bike and, as you say, seeing what works and how it works. I will be 67 in June and I'm actually learning to be patient with myself.
Old 04-07-13, 09:33 PM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I got out on the tandem today for the first time in a while. Sunshine, not quite shirt sleeves but I was wearing shorts for a change. Really nice day. Of course, the weather guys are predicting snow and blizzard conditions for tomorrow night ...

Hope the meds work okay for you. Some nice riding weather will probably help with that high blood pressure
Old 04-08-13, 12:58 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ride report will follow but that Southerly wind turned into an Easterly and it was COLD. 25f as we left and it felt colder. Stayed nice and toasty in my Sealskinz socks and gloves but the ears froze-and the knees- and the torso and anything else that was dressed for a warmer ride. Had a problem with bike fit so I cut the ride short before it got too bad.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-08-13, 06:50 AM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
Ride report will follow but that Southerly wind turned into an Easterly and it was COLD. 25f as we left and it felt colder. Stayed nice and toasty in my Sealskinz socks and gloves but the ears froze-and the knees- and the torso and anything else that was dressed for a warmer ride. Had a problem with bike fit so I cut the ride short before it got too bad.
Bummer. Better days are coming.
Old 04-08-13, 09:27 AM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Rode 40 miles on the tandem yesterday at the Flagler Beach, FL Rotary Club's annual Cycle Ride. A bit breezy in places, temp in the 70s and we averaged 17.5 mph, with some help from pace lines. Nice!
Old 04-08-13, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
My experience with blood pressure on long rides is that the exercise actually makes blood pressure decrease. Had dangerously low blood pressure after a long ride awhile back and Dr. told me since I am monitoring it closely that I should not take it the morning of a long ride. Obviously your circumstances may be different and I would consult your Dr. If you have a blood pressure monitor take it before and after a ride for comparison.