Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Going clipless-not for the reasons you may think - advice on shoes w/ large toe box

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Going clipless-not for the reasons you may think - advice on shoes w/ large toe box

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-13, 02:43 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Okay, I went to several shops to see what they have. At my LBS, I tried on both Shimano XC50N(43) and Specialized MTB Comp(43) and the Specialized Road Comp(42, as they didn't have 42 in stock for the MTB Comp). I went for the Specialized MTB Comp and the Shimano M530 pedals(in black). I may be thinking about returning the shoes and having them order the same shoe in a size 42.5--toe velcro strap on the left foot is pulled all the way, and the ratchet to secure the ankle seems to only have one or two more clicks to end...I think they may be a tad bit big. My foot doesn't slop around, but I think there may be a spit too much room between the end of the shoe and the big toe(the right foot--the larger foot). I haven't done a real ride yet and plan to do one tomorrow morning. I decided to just do the trainer this am as I had a Sub job and didn't want to chance a fall(Tombay) just before reporting for a position. Below are some Pics I took with my phone at the LBS.

Interesting note. While on the trainer, the mech stated I was reaching way forward and we adjusted the seat forward nearly an inch(½" at first and then nearly another). He triple checked my knee position and the crank shaft and all seemed well know. I haven't messed with the seat position one iota since getting the saddle I'm using now and we did a fit then. I have no idea how the saddle got moved back. I practiced at the LBS and for 30 minutes last night clipping/unclipping and road on the trainer this morning for 60 minutes with some practicing engaging and disengaging also. Tomorrow, I plan on doing an actual road test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Shoes&Pedals.jpg (99.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg
Pedals closer.jpg (89.5 KB, 53 views)
Old 05-24-13, 07:35 PM

Bikes: Kona Dew Drop, Specialized Expedition Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Could you please explain this in further detail?

If you try shoes on in a store and they have shoes that fit you well, don't be a doosh and buy them online. Buy them from the store. This may not need to be said, but I said it anyway.
It's worth repeating.
Old 05-25-13, 03:03 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Umm, I did buy them at the store. I tried them on at the store. They didn't have 42 in the MTB Comp, but in the road comp. I tried the road version but was unsure of the toe room. I decided the 43s were going to work. At home, I realized that the ratchet grip was near the last ratchet and I could get it to the last ratchet without extreme tightness(but probably a shade too tight)and that the velcro, especially at the toe was pulled almost if not(on the left foot) at the stitching where the cloth part meets the "leather" tab. If there is any stretch to the shoe as I wear them they would definitely be not right. I am going back to the LBS and then have the LBS order the 42½ version to purchase from them. I will be letting them just keep the funds as prepayment for the order and not have them refund me and then pay them again.

If you mean the other stores where I tried on shoes, if they had been right I would've bought them at that store. I don't know where anyone got the impression I was going to try on shoes at a store and then order them online.

I bought the pedals at the store(even though I could easily order them online and save some $$$). I want to, and do, support my LBS.

Maybe I am misinterpreting the meaning of your post marmot.
Old 05-25-13, 05:06 AM

Bikes: Kona Dew Drop, Specialized Expedition Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
Umm, I did buy them at the store. ... I don't know where anyone got the impression I was going to try on shoes at a store and then order them online ... Maybe I am misinterpreting the meaning of your post marmot.
Yes, you are. I was just agreeing with a general point expressed by a previous poster: It is sleazy to use a local store as a free fitting room and then buy online. No one suggested that you were guilty of it.
Old 05-25-13, 05:40 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marmot
Yes, you are. I was just agreeing with a general point expressed by a previous poster: It is sleazy to use a local store as a free fitting room and then buy online. No one suggested that you were guilty of it.
Thanks. One of the problems with text only, and the internet, is that what's written can sometimes be interpreted in several ways and many of the interpretations can be incorrect.
Old 05-25-13, 07:01 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Good choice! I think you will really like those shoes once you get the right size. I wear a 42 and they fit perfect. However, I'm curious as to why they are now making them with less vented material along the tops of the shoes. Three years ago, the Sport and the Comp were almost identical except for the ratcheting closure on the ankle strap. I got the Sport because the ratchet on the Comp bothered the sides of my feet.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-25-13, 08:00 AM

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sandals and wool socks are good for moderate low temps. When it gets cold, I ride in Keen Austins and wool socks. They seem to have a wider toe box than the Shimanos I used to use.
https://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/pr...0pedal/****ake
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 05-25-13, 09:30 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Good choice! I think you will really like those shoes once you get the right size. I wear a 42 and they fit perfect. However, I'm curious as to why they are now making them with less vented material along the tops of the shoes.
John, what size in a regular shoe do you usually wear, 8½, 9, ?

Three years ago, the Sport and the Comp were almost identical except for the ratcheting closure on the ankle strap. I got the Sport because the ratchet on the Comp bothered the sides of my feet.
Possibly to compete with the Shimano XC50N(an all season shoe) and make them more multi seasonal.
Old 05-25-13, 12:42 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
John, what size in a regular shoe do you usually wear, 8½, 9, ?
I wear an 8½ but I don't have a wide foot. I think that is one reason why I like to wear the cotton socks as they make the shoe nice and snug without over tightening the Velcro straps. If I remember correctly, a 41 was too tight around the heel and a 43 was just a little too big.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-25-13, 02:08 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wear an 8½ but I don't have a wide foot. I think that is one reason why I like to wear the cotton socks as they make the shoe nice and snug without over tightening the Velcro straps. If I remember correctly, a 41 was too tight around the heel and a 43 was just a little too big.
Depending on the shoe, I'm an 8½ or a 9. I don't have a really wide foot, but not narrow either--probably a shade on the wide side of "average." And since I need a roomy toe box(diabetes) and after trying the 42 in the Road Comp again, I'm having the LBS order me 42.5 in the MTB Comp(Black/Red). The LBS had zero issues with the return and ordering the right shoe for me. They are great. BTW, I walked out of the shop, after returning the shoes and having them order the right ones, buying a pedal wrench. It seems I can never go in without buying something.
Old 05-25-13, 03:26 PM

Bikes: better than I deserve

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good luck with shoes when they come in, Mikey. Let us know how it goes.

Nothing wrong with buying a pedal wrench. It's one of the bike tools I use most often.
Old 05-25-13, 04:37 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by climberguy
Good luck with shoes when they come in, Mikey. Let us know how it goes.

Nothing wrong with buying a pedal wrench. It's one of the bike tools I use most often.
I actually have an old pedal wrench from the late 70s--short, thin handle. I figured the Park Tool wrench with a far longer handle, and rubberized, would offer more torque power and be more comfortable to use.
Old 06-02-13, 01:14 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Picked up the shoes(Speicialized MTB Comp, size 42.5) yesterday and rode about 6 miles after dialing them in on the LBS' trainer--no tombay and the shoes felt fine. This AM, I did 35 miles--shoes and feet felt great. I'm sure I could easily go 50+ without issues, but want to take it in baby steps to see how the shoes and feet feel--I don't see issues arising. Tonight and tomorrow there's rain in the forecast so the next ride will be Tuesday.
Old 06-02-13, 02:47 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by George
Take a look at the Specialized shoes. When you do get your shoes try moving the cleats all the way back, that should do it, good luck.
That would be my recommendation too. I don't know how well they would work for you but that's where I'd start my quest.
Old 06-02-13, 04:06 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
FWIW, I rode my Shimano sandals and M520s for the first time today. The first 20 miles were fine, but by the end of the ride I think I would have been more comfortable in tennis shoes and platforms. Maybe they just take some getting used to.

Old 06-02-13, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
"I have been using Shimano bicycling sandals for about 10 years, and simply love them. With proper socks, etc., I use them year-round. I have a very wide front part of my foot, which gets extremely irritated by tight shoes and these accommodate me nicely. And, I have no problem with stubbing my toe or anything like that. They extend out far enough to provide protection."

Not sure how I possible could keep my feet warm when it gets low enough. I'm diabetic and the circulation, though not bad, is still comprimised. They look interesting, but I'm unsure if sandals would help(wind mostly), keep my feet warm.
I also use Shimano sandals and when it's cold I cover them with some Performance full-cover booties to keep off the wind. Since the front strap on the sandals can be adjusted to be quite loose it lets me wear heavier than normal socks and still have lots of room. And the booties I got were a few sizes larger than my usual shoe size.
Old 06-02-13, 06:34 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the input, but it's all academic now since I purchased and am now using Specialized MTB Comp shoes.

The pic is of the 43s which I returned and got the 42.5s.