Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Meniscectomy recovery time?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 06:22 AM

Bikes: Specialized Crux Elite X1, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm going under the knife next week.

After biking 4500 miles last year, I was walking up the steps a month ago, and something popped in my left knee. Down I went. Couldn't even walk to the car to get the the emergency room.

Crutches for a few days, but I've been back on the bike now. Not much pain biking, bit it's painful going up and down steps.

Anyone had this done where they trim the meniscus back? Recovery time?

2019 Specialized Crux Elite X1
2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
My bike page: https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
Build a bike stand! https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html
Old 04-03-14, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by gforeman
I'm going under the knife next week...

See these two posts with personal narratives among a few others on the General Cycling Discussion Fourm thread, “Back on Bike after Surgery, yahoo.”

Originally Posted by Northwestrider
Today I was able to jump back on my bike after surgery to repair a torn meniscus. Wow I really have missed it. I waited months hoping that my knee would repair itself as often times happens. In my case it didn't. The surgery was a piece of cake, no real pain after it, I needed no post operative pills, but have had to wait an inordinate amount of time for the swelling to diminish. Physical therapy during the past week has done wonders and I heartily recommend it for anyone that has knee sugary, at least it has worked for me. My first ride today was only 9 tenths of a mile, but felt fantastic. Tomorrow I'll do around 3 miles. Ok that is it. I just had to shout out the wonderful feeling, the weather today was sunny as well.

Originally Posted by RonH
Glad you're back at it.

I've had both knees done (2007 and 2010). I had a sports medicine doc do the surgery…

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have occasionally wondered what is the cycling recovery time after a meniscus repair. Fortunately I have not needed one, but...
Best wishes
Old 04-03-14, 11:06 AM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
foreman : I'd guess you'll be back on your bike after a month or so. Age does play a part in this. I'm 63. I tore my left knee's medical meniscus going down a short flight of stairs. The Doc said I'd likely be riding again after 3 or so weeks. After a month I started to ride again, but am currently having a problem with swelling ( 9 weeks after surgery ) My case is not typical I really believe. Usually recovery is quicker for most. I'd suggest a physical therapy program ASAP as well, it has helped me, but I wasn't offered it until after several weeks. Really, the operation for me was very straight forward, no pain pills, walking carefully the day after surgery. To give you an idea how common this operation is, google meniscus operation frequency or something similar. You'll be surprised, I was. Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll do well.
Old 04-03-14, 11:14 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 572 Posts
I've had both knees scoped and it was about 3-4 weeks.

I liked to surprise my PT. Since we started every session with 10 minutes on a stationary bike, I started riding my bike to the therapy session. He gave me a quizzical look and said ... well, OK.

I kept asking him when I could ride my bike unrestricted, and he finally gave me the OK one Friday afternoon. When I got back Monday, he asked how it went.

"Great. We went up and over Angeles Forest Road to Acton, came back and had lunch in Canyon Country, then over Big and Little Tujunga back to the start."

"How long of a ride is that!?!"

"About 90 miles and 7000 feet of climbing or so."

"OMG ... how does the knee feel?"

"Great!"

"Ok ... I think we're done here ... "

Old 04-03-14, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3382 Post(s)
Liked 5,553 Times in 2,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
"How long of a ride is that!?!"

"About 90 miles and 7000 feet of climbing or so."

"OMG ... how does the knee feel?"

"Great!"

"Ok ... I think we're done here ... "
Old 04-03-14, 11:27 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 1,953 Times in 1,393 Posts
I was on my rollers in 3 days. I think it took a couple weeks before my first group ride. I kept the effort down for a few weeks. I had it done in April, so it really messed up my summer schedule, but it had to be done. I was back to normal fitness by fall IIRC. I didn't have any PT, just the bike and hiking. I was ~60 or so.
Old 04-03-14, 12:42 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Tore my right knee meniscus a while ago (age 58) while unclicking from a too-tight spd pedal. A few months later I could no longer tolerate the occasional knee lockups when I would kneel or bend severely.

Scoped it and felt great afterwards. Doctor said go easy for a few days and ice the knee but don't worry about weight or minor use.

When I went back a week later to figure out recovery plan I told him it felt fine. He remembered I commute to work and ride for exercise. He said I would need no PT, just keep riding. I was back on bike in 10 days total (and could probably have gone earlier but I forced myself to hold off a few more days).

Last edited by dbg; 04-03-14 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-03-14, 01:25 PM

Bikes: Specialized Crux Elite X1, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dbg
Tore my right knee meniscus a while ago (age 58) while unclicking from a too-tight spd pedal. A few months later I could no longer tolerate the occasional knee lockups when I would kneel or bend severely.

Scoped it and felt great afterwards. Doctor said go easy for a few days and ice the knee but don't worry about weight or minor use.

When I went back a week later to figure out recovery plan I told him it felt fine. He remembered I commute to work and ride for exercise. He said I would need no PT, just keep riding. I was back on bike in 10 days total (and could probably have gone earlier but I forced myself to hold off a few more days).
Hoping it works that good for me. Hell, I broke a toe a few years ago, and was told I wouldn't be able to run for 6 weeks. I was on the track a week later

Dr. told me biking may be part of my PT, but try it indoors first. I'll be glad when this is over.

I'll admit I was a little spooked today when the called for the pre-op questions and asked if I had a living will...

Old 04-07-14, 10:58 AM

Bikes: early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you sure you need surgery? I've been on a torn meniscus for about 4 years now. Surgery is an option but I've been able to handle the pain and the occasional lockups and it doesn't seem to bother me while I ride so I've been avoiding surgery. I've had 4 knee ops so I know whats in store and if I can avoid it I will. But other than biking, lifting weights and walking the dog I don't do any activities. I would be different if I was running or playing ball still I think

YMMV, if you get it good luck but seems like a simple trim is a pretty quick recovery (my last 2 were not simple which is probably why I am avoiding it though it does seem to be getting worse..old age I guess )
Old 04-07-14, 11:07 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sure, I can bike, but stairs and plain walking are killing me. Tomorrow is the day! I'll be back SOON!

Old 04-07-14, 02:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure, I can bike, but stairs and plain walking are killing me. Tomorrow is the day! I'll be back SOON!

Best of luck sounds like it needs to be done.
Old 04-07-14, 08:28 PM

Bikes: Trek 930 converted to Commuter/Tourer. And a few other not worthy of mentioning

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the same boat, can ride with very little pain for miles but can barely walk a half mile without a lot of pain. Had right knee scoped in 2007 (also have arthritis in it) and recovered quickly, but wasn't riding then. Getting left one done April 15th. Based on my previous experience , I'll be riding to work on the 21st. Good luck to you.
Old 04-08-14, 09:43 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm back on the road!

The road to recovery that is

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gary_bed.jpg (86.8 KB, 36 views)

Old 04-09-14, 09:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best of luck.

They have you bandaged up pretty good...been a while since my last scope and it was a fairly involved surgery so I was in a splint for 2 weeks. My previous scope before that I walked out of the hospital
Old 04-09-14, 10:22 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 572 Posts
You'll be back on your bike before those tan lines disappear!

Old 04-09-14, 11:47 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
While I'd LOVE to claim that tan line, that's come crap they put on my leg. I do have a tan line, but not that dark. I walked out on crutches, used a cane this morning, and I can go without the cane, except for stairs. I'll be back REAL soon!

Old 04-19-14, 03:48 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, had surgery on April 8, and took a 10 mile ride today. Felt good. Certainly not 100%, but minimal pain, and I stayed away from any big killer hills. Go back for a follow-up with the Dr. tomorrow. Dying to mow the yard

Old 04-20-14, 10:54 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'm going under the knife next week.

i've had both knees done (2008 and 2011). I went to a sports medicine doctor. He had me on the bike (on the trainer) 6 hours after surgery. My PT was to ride 3 times a day, 5 minutes each ride, and work up from there. I was up to 45 minutes after 3 weeks. The doc let me back on the road after 4 weeks.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 04-21-14, 11:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dying to mow the yard
Really??

Glad to hear you are doing well in your recovery. My repaired one is starting to act up more and more...I'm going to resist but may have to reconsider in the near future (Still have health ins now but am hoping to retire early..might need to get something done before that)
Old 05-04-14, 03:42 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like mowing my yard :-)

Rode 20 miles today, riding feels like I'm about 80%, but at night, my knee really wakes me up with sharp pain. Hopefully it will subside.

Old 05-05-14, 10:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like mowing my yard :-)

Rode 20 miles today, riding feels like I'm about 80%, but at night, my knee really wakes me up with sharp pain. Hopefully it will subside.
I don't mind mowing the grass but I cannot say I like it. If I had one of those fancy riding mowers maybe
The sharp pain at night doesn't sound right to me. I know my meniscus is torn and I don't get that when I am not load bearing generally (I did have a dream the other night about having surgery and woke up to a sore knee but that is not normal). Maybe a call or email to your surgeon is in order? Could be just scar tissue but again it doesn't sound right to me but I'm no doctor
Old 05-05-14, 11:00 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After my 20 miler yesterday, the knee did not wake me up. Maybe it's just a matter of getting it back to my normal routine that will help. PT Dr. doesn't think it's a big issue to worry about yet.

PT was brutal today. How a a girl so cute inflict so much pain?

Actually the problem was some of the exercise required balancing on the knee in question...not so stable yet...or maybe I'm just not stable

Last edited by gforeman; 05-05-14 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-05-14, 12:29 PM
Fat but Fit!

Bikes: Lynskey R340, Lynskey R230, Fisher Zebrano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tore mine 9 years ago at 49. At Doc's suggestion, back on bike about the 4th day - just an easy spin around town, and then see how I felt the next day. Gradually increased distance and intensity. Was close to full speed within 3 weeks, but took it easy on hills for another several weeks.

Playing/officiating BB was another issue however. Tried at 3 months - no go. By the 5th month I was easing into playing again.
Old 05-05-14, 01:07 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was told A: No running unless I am being chased, and B: Stay off the Tennis court. I played a lot of tennis with my son years ago, and we still get together now and then, but I guess that's out.