Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New "to me" info on Columbus Tenax Tubing

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-13, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts

Found this when looking over Columbus tubesets. Interesting, if accurate, it explains a lot.

"This tubeset, Chromor/Thron has a long history that includes Touring frames for Schwinn in the 80's and 90's with Prelude and Tempo models. Schwinn manufactured approximately 25,000 of these frames during this time using the name Tenax. We sold Chromor and later Thron as Columbus entry level pro tubes just below SL/SP. The Thron was also sold by Nova as a successful MTB tubeset with MTB chainstays as an entry level pro set."
Old 10-20-13, 09:17 PM
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Nova misspelled Cromor (there's no "h")...

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Likes For Scooper:
Old 10-21-13, 12:25 AM
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Found this when looking over Columbus tubesets. Interesting, if accurate, it explains a lot.

"This tubeset, Chromor/Thron has a long history that includes Touring frames for Schwinn in the 80's and 90's with Prelude and Tempo models. Schwinn manufactured approximately 25,000 of these frames during this time using the name Tenax. We sold Chromor and later Thron as Columbus entry level pro tubes just below SL/SP. The Thron was also sold by Nova as a successful MTB tubeset with MTB chainstays as an entry level pro set."
You could add to that entry in Wiki fashion and say:

"It is believed that Bikeforum.net members collectively own 1/2 of the still surviving Schwinn Tenax road bikes in the free world."
Old 10-21-13, 06:20 AM
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 936 Posts
Truth.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-21-13, 06:43 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I always wondered about Thron. I've seen it on classic bikes, but a fairly modern Univega I had, with Thron, was definitely OS and definitely heavier than any of my C&V frames.
Old 10-21-13, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
You could add to that entry in Wiki fashion and say:

"It is believed that Bikeforum.net members collectively own 1/2 of the still surviving Schwinn Tenax road bikes in the free world."
Now THAT is funny! And undoubtedly true. Sold an '85 Letour Luxe I still wish I hadn't.
Old 03-05-14, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
Nova misspelled Cromor (there's no "h")...
Rez'ing a zombie thread....

Scooper, I measured my TT, ST and DT with a caliper and they fit those Cromor dimensions precisely.

when researching tenax there is an abundance of contradictory information, so I'd like to put the final nail in the coffin on this once and for all. The only issue preventing me from declaring tenax as early cromor, is that Schwinn's own catalogues claim tenax to be double butted seamless tubesets- which contradicts it with being Cromor (as it is seamed).

Do you know how SL/SP measurements would differ, as some have suggested tenax is just a rebranded mixture of both?

Edit- i suppose I could pull out the BB and look for seams from the inside, but id rather save myself the hassle.

Last edited by zazenzach; 03-05-14 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-05-14, 01:23 AM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
well looks like i commented too soon. i ended up tracking down your comment here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-of-1987/page2

it seems like we may never really know what exactly tenax was.
Old 03-05-14, 01:08 PM
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by zazenzach
well looks like i commented too soon. i ended up tracking down your comment here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-of-1987/page2

it seems like we may never really know what exactly tenax was.
We do now.

Originally Posted by E-mail exchange between Scooper and Columbus Tubi
-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Stan Cooper
Inviato: martedì 4 marzo 2014 07:32
A: info@columbustubi.com
Oggetto: Information Regarding Columbus "Tenax" Tubing Used By Schwinn Bicycle Co., USA, circa 1985-1992

Dear folks at Columbus Tubi,

If possible, I would like to obtain information about Columbus tubing labeled "Tenax", and used by Schwinn Bicycle Company from the mid 1980s through the early 1990s.

While tubing descriptions and specifications are widely available for most Columbus tube sets, information about the Tenax tubing used by Schwinn is mysteriously absent.

Thank you for any information you may be able to provide.

Sincerely yours,

Stan Cooper
San Francisco, California

-----Message Reply-----
Date: March 5, 2014 12:07am
To: Stan Cooper
Subject: Information Regarding Columbus "Tenax" Tubing Used By Schwinn Bicycle Co., USA, circa 1985-1992

Dear Stan,
The Tenax was the tube-set made during the middle '80, those were actually the 3 main tubes, made like the cromor tubes in seamed 25CrMo4, and double butted.

Good result in term of stiffness but was not one of the light tubeset line.

Thanks and best regards,
Andrea
COLUMBUS
Between the description of Tenax as Cromor on the Nova website and this definitive reply from Columbus, it's pretty clear "Tenax" is 25 CrMo 4 seamed, double-butted chromoly similar to Cromor for the three main frame tubes. Because of the 26.6mm seatposts used on Tenax frames, it's also a pretty good guess that the seat tube is straight gauge with 0.9mm walls.

my bikes

Old 03-05-14, 01:19 PM
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
This should be a fun one to follow.. but how does the Columbus answer about it being seamed jive with the Schwinn claim of it not being seamed? Even more interesting is the measurements Zaz resulted with. Another thing I've heard in passing is Tenax actually improved over the years, I can't verify the veracity of that of course.. but it would be most interesting to get tubing measurements from the first Tenax bikes and then all the way up to the 89's which is where I believe it stopped?
Old 03-05-14, 01:23 PM
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by RaleighSport
This should be a fun one to follow.. but how does the Columbus answer about it being seamed jive with the Schwinn claim of it not being seamed? Even more interesting is the measurements Zaz resulted with. Another thing I've heard in passing is Tenax actually improved over the years, I can't verify the veracity of that of course.. but it would be most interesting to get tubing measurements from the first Tenax bikes and then all the way up to the 89's which is where I believe it stopped?
By the mid-eighties, welded seams were so homogeneous after cold drawing and butting that the tubes were, for all intents and purposes, identical to seamless. I think Schwinn took a little poetic license.

From the catalog specs, it does appear that Tenax was last used on the 1989 models.

my bikes

Last edited by Scooper; 03-05-14 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-05-14, 01:26 PM
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

By the mid-eighties, welded seams were so homogeneous after cold drawing and butting that the tubes were, for all intents and purposes, identical to seamless. I think Schwinn took a little poetic license.
I just want to see a little more confirmation before I move my personal opinion to Tenax being Cromor SL/SP is just so much classier...
Old 03-05-14, 01:48 PM
Decrepit Member

I just want to see a little more confirmation before I move my personal opinion to Tenax being Cromor SL/SP is just so much classier...
As far as I can tell, all of the assertions that Tenax was really SL/SP originated with the Bicycling article on the then-new '87 Prelude.

I even bought into it for a while.

my bikes

Old 03-05-14, 02:26 PM
Hogosha Sekai

As far as I can tell, all of the assertions that Tenax was really SL/SP originated with the Bicycling article on the then-new '87 Prelude.

I even bought into it for a while.

LoL did you know you and I have discussed Tenax way more than once now? I was doing some digging since this one always fascinates me, and in my Premis thread I found a post of yours mentioning:

The 88 catalog refers to Tenax as seamless, For 88 Tempo, Premis and Prelude are all listed as seamless and double butted.

Now I took the liberty of course of checking 87, double butted chrome-moly no mention of seamless.

So I decided it might be worth hunting through the trfindley scans database a bit more:

86: We have the Tempo, Madison, Super Sport, Prelude. Double butted, no seamless mention. 26.6 seatposts.

For 85: Tenax models were Super Sport, Competition, Voyageur, Le Tour Luxe,Super Le Tour, Voyageur, Passage. Double butted, no mention of seamless and the universal 26.6 seatpost.

No sign of Tenax in the 84 lightweights catalog scans.

So now going the other direction things stay interesting..

89: Tenax models: Tempo, Prelude, Voyageur. Double butted and seamless again. Also very interesting, the seat posts evolved to 27.2 for this year.

Now if I had been smart I would have also been noting the bike weights.. but it does seem that Tenax did evolve.. perhaps it began life as Cromor twin and slowly became similar to SL/SP?

It'd be really fun to get some bare frame weights on same sized same geometry tenax bikes from 85-89 and do some comparisons there.
Old 03-05-14, 02:51 PM
Decrepit Member

Well, actually, while the specs list the 1989 Tempo as having "Columbus Tenax SL Seamless Chrome-Moly Double-Butted Main Tubes" and an "SR CRE-100 27.2mm Alloy Micro-Adjusting" seatpost, both the Prelude and the Voyageur have Tenax tubing (without mentioning "SL") and 26.6mm seatposts. The "SL" in the Tempo frame tubing description would infer it is different somehow, possibly in having a butted seat tube.

my bikes

Old 03-05-14, 03:03 PM
Hogosha Sekai

Well, actually, while the specs list the 1989 Tempo as having "Columbus Tenax SL Seamless Chrome-Moly Double-Butted Main Tubes" and an "SR CRE-100 27.2mm Alloy Micro-Adjusting" seatpost, both the Prelude and the Voyageur have Tenax tubing (without mentioning "SL") and 26.6mm seatposts. The "SL" in the Tempo frame tubing description would infer it is different somehow, possibly in having a butted seat tube.
That's even more interesting. Especially since the Prelude lists as seamless but the Voyageur does not. I'm in midterm prep mode so I'm glossing over a lot of things apparently.

Last edited by RaleighSport; 03-05-14 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-05-14, 08:12 PM
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 936 Posts
I could swear I've seen people say they've had 26.8 seatposts.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 03-05-14, 08:53 PM
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I could swear I've seen people say they've had 26.8 seatposts.
Dave, the catalog specs show the '85 Le Tour and '85 Super Le Tour as having Tenax frames and 26.4mm seatposts, but all of the '86 Tenax frame models show 26.6mm seatposts, all of the '87 Tenax frame models show 26.6mm, all of the '88 Tenax frame models show 26.6mm, and all of the '89 Tenax frame models show 26.6mm seatposts except for the Tempo (27.2mm).

Schwinn specs have had errors before, so the published numbers could be wrong.

Another possibility is that since the I.D. of a 28.6mm O.D. seat tube with 0.9mm walls is 26.8mm with zero tolerance between the I.D. of the seat tube and the O.D. of a 26.8mm seatpost, individual owners could easily ream out the seat tube in order to get a 26.8mm seatpost to fit.

I'm just guessing here...

my bikes

Old 03-06-14, 12:22 AM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
We do now.

Between the description of Tenax as Cromor on the Nova website and this definitive reply from Columbus, it's pretty clear "Tenax" is 25 CrMo 4 seamed, double-butted chromoly similar to Cromor for the three main frame tubes. Because of the 26.6mm seatposts used on Tenax frames, it's also a pretty good guess that the seat tube is straight gauge with 0.9mm walls.

that's hilarious. I got the exact same answer from columbus. they must have flat out copy pasted to me what they sent the other guy. as the preceeding thread shows, i also tracked down a friend of a friend, someone who used to make these frames in greenville, and he recalled them being basically Cromor as well.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...s-Tenax-Tubing
Old 03-06-14, 09:01 AM
Decrepit Member

It is pretty funny; for years there's been this question out there with all kinds of speculation, and finally we have the definitive answer as far as I'm concerned.

There will probably be some even more obsessed than we who are still not satisfied and who will keep digging.

my bikes

Old 03-06-14, 09:16 AM
Collector of Useless Info

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All I know is that my '85 Tenax Tempo has a seam in the seat-tube. I can see it. I don't care what the catalogs say.
Old 03-06-14, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
I'm sort of surprised that Columbus would e-mail that back to you. I would have thought it was some sort of trade secret or something Schwinn would have wanted them not to say for some reason. I guess Schwinn isn't Schwinn anymore though, so it may not matter.

Old 03-06-14, 09:51 AM
Hogosha Sekai

Originally Posted by cycle_maven
All I know is that my '85 Tenax Tempo has a seam in the seat-tube. I can see it. I don't care what the catalogs say.
Only some models 88+ were noted as seamless, it looks indeed like tenax is cromor with possibly some tube swaps...
Old 03-06-14, 11:55 AM
Collector of Useless Info

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Only some models 88+ were noted as seamless, it looks indeed like tenax is cromor with possibly some tube swaps...
Right- I didn't read your whole post carefully-
I guess no mention of "seamless" means it has a seam...
Old 03-06-14, 11:56 AM
Hogosha Sekai

Originally Posted by cycle_maven
Right- I didn't read your whole post carefully-
I guess no mention of "seamless" means it has a seam...
All good, just wanted to clarify especially since my post was fairly inaccurate.