Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Is this a good deal? And other help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-17, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this a good deal? And other help.

Hello everyone I just started my journey into the bike community world. I'm currently looking into touring bikes for a potential bike across America. I have found a bike close to home in my price range that I would like advice on. Does it look like what I should be looking for? Is the price reasonable? If I were to ask for a lower price, what would be acceptable to ask for?

It's a Trek 420 Touring Road Bike for 275$.

I would post a link but I can't yet until I have 10 posts.

I am about 5'9" and I'm not entirely sure what height I should be looking for.

Thanks and let me know if there is any novice info I should be aware of.
Old 12-06-17, 09:05 PM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3101 Post(s)
Liked 6,645 Times in 3,807 Posts
Originally Posted by Macman11393
Is the price reasonable?
Thread moved from User Assistance forum to Classic & Vintage Appraisals forum.
Old 12-06-17, 09:09 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked 980 Times in 631 Posts
420 is a kind of/sort of touring bike. Where you live matters on price.

On size, google vintage bike sizing, take a few personal measurements and you will be an expert.
Old 12-06-17, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 194 Posts
I agree with Bill. The Trek 420 was what they called a sport touring bike back then, kind of a touring bike lite. The drawbacks compared to a regular touring bike - lack of eyelets for front & rear racks, fairly short chainstays which can cause heel strike on the rear panniers. Taking a true touring bike on a cross-country tour can make all the difference in the world as far as comfort and the ability to haul your stuff.

If it were me going on a cross-country tour, I'd be looking at this group of classic tourers: Trek 520/620/720, Miyata 1000, Specialized Expedition. There are many others but these come to mind first.
Old 12-07-17, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Since your post didn't originate in C&V, I presume you don't care whether the bike is new or old. Personally, as much as I like vintage bikes, I wouldn't limit your search to older touring bikes. A bike across America is pretty ambitious and I'd want a bike that had all of the appropriate features. Also, if you are new to the community as you say, it takes time to figure out what you like or don't like. If you haven't, you might want to look at websites such as Velo Orange and Rivendell. Both have lots of good info. Velo Orange makes touring-capable bikes including disc brake versions worth a look. Good luck in your search.
Old 12-07-17, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
BTW, in my previous post I didn't mean to indicate that there aren't capable vintage tourers. There certainly are and Bargainguy provided some examples.
Old 12-07-17, 12:31 PM

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I own a Trek 420, and I would call it a "Sports Tourer". Good for a 2 or 3 day excursion, but not a real touring bike.
Old 12-07-17, 02:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info. I'll look into the website recommendations and figure out the measurements that would best suit me. Also, I'll look into getting a true touring bike rather than a sport touring. I want something I can rely on that is known to go the distance.
Old 12-08-17, 12:20 AM
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 135 Posts
Good luck figuring out the sizing. The internet helped me, sort of, figure out what size frame I could use. But trying out different stems to move the handlebar up/down forwards/backwards helped out quite a lot too in terms of comfort. Although I still ended up with frames of different sizes... And depending on the type of frame sometimes the bottom bracket is higher or lower, so the frame size is also affected. Trying out different types of handlebars seems fun too...
Old 12-09-17, 10:47 AM

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
On size, google vintage bike sizing, take a few personal measurements and you will be an expert.
You're new, planning an ambitious ride. Get expert help. Too many variables and preferences to figure out sizing by yourself.

I used the internet to help me figure out my size when I was starting out a few years back. Started out with 56 cm. It took me years to figure out that I'm most comfortable on a 59. Now I have several bikes that don't fit me well.
Old 12-09-17, 11:37 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
^
Frame size and frame geometry has a lot to do with it. People spending a lot of money on vintage bikes should consider the geometry of the frame.
Old 12-09-17, 10:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by camelopardalis
You're new, planning an ambitious ride. Get expert help. Too many variables and preferences to figure out sizing by yourself.

I used the internet to help me figure out my size when I was starting out a few years back. Started out with 56 cm. It took me years to figure out that I'm most comfortable on a 59. Now I have several bikes that don't fit me well.
Would you recommend going to a bike shop to help figure out what's comfortable? I'm not sure if I would know what's better for me by just sitting on a bike or would I have to ride it for some time to understand what's best?
Old 12-10-17, 01:21 AM
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 135 Posts
Just started riding old craigslist bike in summer. Quickly found out I did not like handlebars lower than seat ended up getting second bigger bike. Pressure on hands was not pleasant. also read top tube length is also important. I put taller stem on the first bike I got and it was a lot better after. The bigger one was fine without changes but the top tube is about as high as I can handle. I don't go fast so it's fine but sometimes I feel like the smaller one is safer.

Would I go into a shop if I were to do it over... Sure if they sold old bikes because that's what I wanted. If I'd wanted a new bike then I guess I wouldn't have a choice.

I'd just keep in mind different stems can help you get comfortable but a frame that's too big to stand over might not be a good idea.
Old 12-10-17, 07:38 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2948 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,514 Posts
I would say if you like the 420, it fits and is fairly good shape buy it. Ride it learn the basic of bike maintenance on it and get an idea of what type of riding you like.

A tour across America is a great goal but an ambitious one. Are you thinking of doing something supported where an tour company carriers your gear? or "loaded" touring, carrying your own gear, on the bike?

There is a lot to consider here and doing so in the saddle of the 420 is better place than at the computer shopping for perfect bike.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-12-17, 05:03 PM
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 2213 Post(s)
Liked 4,671 Times in 1,789 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
There is a lot to consider here and doing so in the saddle of the 420 is better place than at the computer shopping for perfect bike.
That sums it up quite nicely, BG.