Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to remove paint from aluminum

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-08, 03:06 PM

Bikes: Fiorelli Coppi, Vitus 979, '84 Raleigh Comp, Miyata 710 & couple of old green Raleighs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought an aluminum Vitus 979 for pretty cheap, but it had been given an unattractive home paint job in an attempt to make it look like the European bikes of the day (hence the good deal). Does anyone have a recommendation for a paint stripper/technique that will preserve the original polish, assuming it was in good shape before the paint job? I don't want the frame to dissolve on me.
Old 03-25-08, 03:32 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Letour 1989, Shogun 300 198?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aircraft Paint Stripper, it is sold at most Auto Parts stores and Wal-Mart. Wear Gloves and don't get it on anything other than metal. It will take off any paint and/or clear coat.
Old 03-25-08, 03:38 PM
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by ludeboy_77
Aircraft Paint Stripper, it is sold at most Auto Parts stores and Wal-Mart. Wear Gloves and don't get it on anything other than metal. It will take off any paint and/or clear coat.
The nice thing about stripper is that it works quickly on spray paint, but takes more time to penetrate a factory paint / clearcoat. You can usually remove the spray without damaging the clear if you work carefully.

On the other hand, you may find that the old clearcoat was in rough shape prior to meeting the spray bomb.
Old 03-25-08, 03:44 PM
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Isn't the 979 a bonded frame? Would be careful using chemical strippers on it if so?
Old 03-25-08, 03:52 PM

Bikes: Fiorelli Coppi, Vitus 979, '84 Raleigh Comp, Miyata 710 & couple of old green Raleighs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I'll try some on a beer can to make sure it doesn't look bad. Another good excuse to have a beer.
Old 03-25-08, 03:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good call - It crossed my mind, too. I'll protect the seams somehow.
Old 03-25-08, 05:14 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Be sure it's aircraft or at least states that it is safe for aluminium. The other common paint stripper formula uses a caustic base that will eat aluminium.
Old 03-25-08, 05:17 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.5, Klein Q Pro Elite, Surley LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be careful not to get any striper on your skin. Stuff burns like h___.
Old 03-25-08, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by jsharr
Isn't the 979 a bonded frame? Would be careful using chemical strippers on it if so?
This guy is making a very important point! Stripper can dissolve adhesives, too.
Old 03-25-08, 06:19 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
Be sure it's aircraft or at least states that it is safe for aluminium. The other common paint stripper formula uses a caustic base that will eat aluminium.
Sometimes I guess that it pays to be lucky rather than smart.

When i built my fixed gear bike I started by stripping all of the paint off of an old Raleigh Technium (aluminum main frame bonded to steel stays). I used some Zip Strip that I bought at the local hardware store. It says not to use it on plastics and lots of other things, but doesn't say anything about aluminum. At any rate, both the aluminum tubes and the bonding are doing fine.

Then again, I didn't have much to lose with the Raleigh. That Vitus is a considerably nicer frame.
Old 03-25-08, 07:19 PM
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
One mistake often made with chem strip is the duration on the surface. If it is left on too long it can be detrimental to the process, normally for drying out, but also for various effects on plastic/bonds/etc. Use a scotchbrite pad to scrub it in and test periodically over a couple of minutes until it lifts satisfactorily, scrub it the rest of the way and rinse immediately thereafter. Continue to scrub as it is rinsed to assure the stripper is cleaned off completely as it can affect the paint finish later. For most finishes this is only a small handful of minutes total.
Old 03-25-08, 10:35 PM
"this is not suck"

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I frickin HATE chemical strippers, they suck (yes even aircraft stripper, provided you stay conscious long enough while using it) they are caustic, they burn you, they DO NOT REMOVE FACTORY PAINT COATINGS VERY WELL, they are hard to remove, they are messy, they stink, they have noxious fumes,...

should I go on?

take it to a media blaster, and tell them how you will be painting it (or powdercoat) because they use a different media for each coating type.

my guy charges me $25 to blast a frame, and $30 for a frame and fork.

best thing about the blaster, is it's no work, no mess, and you get perfectly clean bare metal with no accidental stripper residue hiding in crevices just WAITING to "strip" your new paint job.

I was a professional custom painter for almost 35 years, and I stopped using chemical strippers back in the 70's.

maybe for your wifes antique credenza, but not for a bicycle.
Old 03-26-08, 05:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try acetone - cheap - safe on aluminium and may not damage clear coat. Do a test section on the bottom of your bb shell - media basting may be the best method - but can't be done at home, if it can please tell me how without expensive equipment.
Old 03-26-08, 08:03 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Letour 1989, Shogun 300 198?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will media blasting preserve the original polish of the Aluminum (as the OP noted)?
Old 03-26-08, 03:31 PM

Bikes: Iron Monkey: a junkyard steel 26" slick-tired city bike. Grey Fox: A Trek 7x00 frame, painted, with everything built, from spokes up. Jet Jaguar: A 92 Cannondale R900 frame, powder coated matte black with red and aluminum highlights.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If this is a crappy garage paint job, acetone will likely take off the new paint without attacking the old. It's cheap, not mind-blowingly toxic, doesn't burn your skin (though it will dry it out because it dissolves oils) and cleanup is done by leaving stuff around outside to evaporate.
Old 03-26-08, 05:11 PM
Pleasurable Pain

Bikes: Voodoo Rada, KHS Alite 4000, Smith & Wesson Tactical, Diamondback Response

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have heard that Permatex Gasket remover works great on frames. Spray it on and use a brush or maybe a putty knife to scrape off decals and paint.
Old 03-26-08, 08:00 PM
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
If this is a bonded frame, I think you would have to be nuts to use any chemical method to remove paint.
Old 03-26-08, 11:34 PM
"this is not suck"

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ludeboy_77
Will media blasting preserve the original polish of the Aluminum (as the OP noted)?
I DOUBT the paint was shot over a polished surface,......if it was he wouldn't have posted this thread (the paint would just wipe off with kleenex and water)

if you REALLY want to try and save the original finish, you can try:
use zip ties and wrap the entire frame with paper toweling, then soak the paper towels in acetone, and wrap the entire thing with plastic wrap: tight around each tube,..and leave overnight.

check in the morning, if the paint isn't wrinkling, unwrap and add some more acetone, and let it sit some more.

eventually you should be able to lift the paint off quite easily, HOWEVER, you will have to use several applications of fresh acetone, on fresh towels until it's totally clean, and finally a acetone rub down to clean it all up.

now if that IS a bonded frame, DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF CHEMICAL STRIPPING AGENT OF ANY KIND: no acetone, no alcohol, NO paint stripper, NO orange based products OF ANY KIND (containing D-limonene),pretty much all you can do is get some superfine scotch pads (grey or white) or 1500 grit (or finer like 2000, or 2500) and a bucket of clean water and start scrubbing, until all the paint is removed,....this is going to take several days of 3-5 hours of scrub/sanding.

then you'll have to polish it again to get the original shine back.

check with your media blasting service, because my guy has a superfine plastic bead that he uses sometimes on small parts, and they come out looking almost like polished aluminum, just not quite that shiny,..but that would be a great place to start polishing it.

first thing is to find out if that IS a bonded frame, because that tells you what methods will remove the coating safely.

keep in touch, I'm curious as to how this comes out.
Old 03-27-08, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Stripper works for me. I use Jasco from the hardware store. I apply it with an acid brush and wipe it off with paper towels or newspaper, then I go after it with a wire brush. Some spots may require a second or third application. I wash down the frame with lacquer thinner when I'm done. I took the original paint off of a '74 Raleigh Competition a couple of weeks ago in about 45 minutes. I've never had stripper cause a problem with the paint.

The stripper burns when you get it on your skin, but it won't even leave a mark if you wash it off right away. I got some on my eyelid once and that hurt! I always wear safety goggles now.

I have no experience at all with aluminum frames and I probably never will.
Old 06-06-14, 10:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by da$eugenstein
I bought an aluminum Vitus 979 for pretty cheap, but it had been given an unattractive home paint job in an attempt to make it look like the European bikes of the day (hence the good deal). Does anyone have a recommendation for a paint stripper/technique that will preserve the original polish, assuming it was in good shape before the paint job? I don't want the frame to dissolve on me.
One thing you might try is nail polish remover, I've heard that it can remove paint. If that doesn't work, abatix is one place that has some lead paint remover that is usually priced more reasonably than some other brands out there. Here's a link to one of the products: ["https://www.abatix.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=SEC805&catlist=44" Sentinel TSP Wash For Lead Paint 5 Gal]
Old 06-06-14, 10:39 AM

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by purple82
. . .
Only six years. BTW, you think nail polish remover works better than stripper?
Old 06-06-14, 11:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use acetone. Nail polish remove has acetone in it but at a lower percentage.
Acetone works great. Yu can also use sandpaper.

Or both :-)
Old 06-06-14, 12:25 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Not sure what they glued them to together with .. epoxy once cured ,doesn't un cure ..

to be safe, mask off the joints.