Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > United Kingdom
Reload this Page >

Anyone from BF doing The London Freewheel?

Search
Notices
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-08, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Who is planning on participating in some way in the London Freewheel?

I incorporated the closed loop into a 50 mile ride last year and honestly it was one of the most brilliant days I've had on a bike.

Firstly, the route is brilliant and lets you see some of the great London sights.

Secondly, it's traffic free! What a difference it makes, too.

Thirdly, there's a great atmosphere and you may even see people you know (I did last year)!

Oh yeah, and it's free and there are no speed limits...

Hopefully see some of you there.
Old 05-22-08, 01:28 PM
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'll definitely be doing it again even though my cycling chum has left london so I might do a proper long solo ride and add it to the end.

Last year it was such a great day out...cycling around roads that are normally full of traffic and seeing the city in a totally new persepective. It was eerily quiet without cars. The atmosphere was fantastic and so much fun with thousands of bikes swerving all over the place..definitely do not ride a fancy carbon bike I think. Oh and take a rucksack for all the promotional freebies. Are they again giving away freebies for registering?

See you there
Old 05-22-08, 05:35 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by coasting
I'll definitely be doing it again even though my cycling chum has left london so I might do a proper long solo ride and add it to the end.

Last year it was such a great day out...cycling around roads that are normally full of traffic and seeing the city in a totally new persepective. It was eerily quiet without cars. The atmosphere was fantastic and so much fun with thousands of bikes swerving all over the place..definitely do not ride a fancy carbon bike I think. Oh and take a rucksack for all the promotional freebies. Are they again giving away freebies for registering?

See you there
I believe the freebies will be flowing again, yes! I didn't bother with all that last year as it was packed, but I might give it a go this time.

I did it on the Max last year but to be honest there were so many people on road bikes I'll probably do it on one this year to make a change!

If you want to meet, and this is open to anyone who reads this, post on here a place/time to meet (I guess central will be best for everyone?) and then we could do a loop out and back from there? Sound good?
Old 05-24-08, 04:13 PM
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
sounds good. lets see how many and nearer the date to agree time and place
Old 05-25-08, 05:34 AM

Bikes: Scott Speedster S50

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll certainly be looking to do this. Bit nearer the time mind you.
Old 05-26-08, 04:43 PM

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream XP '04, a Dahon Cadenza '07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not absolutely certain it's going ahead since Boris became mayor. I registered when the site went live (had a good time last year, despite my bike needing a mechanic after an accident on the train up), was really looking forward to it this time- better bike! The site hasn't had any updates at all- not a good sign. Jenny Jones (the Green GLA member who came up with the idea in the first place) told the Camden Cycling Campaign AGM that he's already changing the previously agreed annual budget, and though she hoped Freewheel would go ahead, there's no guarantee. He's a keen cyclist himself of course, so keep your fingers crossed. I've emailed him asking him to support it, no response.
Old 06-03-08, 06:14 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StuAff
It's not absolutely certain it's going ahead since Boris became mayor. I registered when the site went live (had a good time last year, despite my bike needing a mechanic after an accident on the train up), was really looking forward to it this time- better bike! The site hasn't had any updates at all- not a good sign. Jenny Jones (the Green GLA member who came up with the idea in the first place) told the Camden Cycling Campaign AGM that he's already changing the previously agreed annual budget, and though she hoped Freewheel would go ahead, there's no guarantee. He's a keen cyclist himself of course, so keep your fingers crossed. I've emailed him asking him to support it, no response.
I think it will go ahead. From what I hear there are lots of extra things planned for this year. Plus Hovis will be royally annoyed if they've pumped money into this already for it to be cancelled.

I plan on using it as a warm up as there's a race down at Canary Wharf on the same day in aid of prostate cancer research which my firm has entered into. Not entirely sure of the details of it yet but I am definitely up for a decent ride after it.
Old 06-03-08, 03:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hovis aren't supporting it this time around, I believe. The official site makes no mention of sponsorship, yet. I find the lack of news slightly alarming, but it is still several months off so fingers crossed. If it is off- and I hope not- I'll have a crack at the charity run round the Isle of Wight on the same day (intending to do the short route on this year's Randonnee, ended up doing 59 miles total, so might as well go the whole hog next time).
Old 06-26-08, 04:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy to say that it will most definitely be going ahead- Boris himself has requested volunteers to marshal this time around, https://www.londonfreewheel.com/marshals
Old 08-25-08, 05:51 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StuAff
Happy to say that it will most definitely be going ahead- Boris himself has requested volunteers to marshal this time around, https://www.londonfreewheel.com/marshals
So I signed up to be a marshal after seeing the "we desperately need marshals" message on the website. It's quite nice to be able to give something back to the event / cycling in general. Any more entrants from BF?