Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

29er decision time: Specialized Rockhopper vs. Cannondale 29er?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-09, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm down to my final decision on my first mountain bike. (I'm 6'5" - pretty much sold on going with the 29ers.)

I've ridden the Specialized and liked how it felt, but I'm a noob so don't have anything to compare it with. Unfortunately, the Cannondale dealer in my area doesn't want to order an XL frame just for a test ride, so I haven't been able to ride and compare. (But he's giving me a really good price, so I'm still tempted.)

These two bikes are very close in price and I'm having a really hard time deciding between them. Any suggestions one way or the other?

Cannondale 29er 4

Specialized Rockhopper Comp

Thanks for your help!

Note: Budget is around $850.
Old 08-02-09, 09:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They both look comparable.

They have the same fork. The only major difference (on quick glance) are the brakes. Cable vs. hydro.

I would personally go with the one you can ride, and if you like it, go with that. It would suck to buy the C'dale and not like how it feels.
Old 08-03-09, 05:58 AM

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jon-w9

I would personally go with the one you can ride
That's terrible advice...go with the one you can't ride & lean it against the garage door and take pictures like all these hacks around here.
Old 08-03-09, 06:00 AM

Bikes: GT Ricochet, Mongoose Villain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently had to make the same choice. I was actually looking for a Cdale 29er 2 but the price was just past what my wife would allow so it was the 4, the Rockhopper Expert 29er, Gary Fisher Cobia, and the Diamondback Overdrive 29er. I also test road a new Giant 29er because it seemed to be the newest 29er available but it was also out of my price range.

I had a bad experience with Mongoose after they sold out which kind of gave me a bad taste for Diamond back. I think Cannondale also recently sold out to Pacifica and could end up being sold at Dicks, Target or even worse.... Wal Mart.

In the end I went with the bike that had the best fit/feel which was the Expert 29er. Mine came with a Tora Fork but was $1,300. I think the new Rockhopper is that comes with the Dart is cheaper so you could always upgrade the fork.
Old 08-03-09, 07:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chelboed
That's terrible advice...go with the one you can't ride & lean it against the garage door and take pictures like all these hacks around here.
I meant "Test ride," but I am sue you knew that!