Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ortlieb saddle bag + Brooks Swift = sorrow?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-09, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can someone reassure me that I am right in saying Ortlieb saddle bags (M) like this

won't fit on a Brooks Swift saddle, using the quick-release mechanism.

Seems there is no way to attach the clip on the saddle high enough, and far enough back, for the bag to have room to slip on to. As hard as I try, I can find no way to get this to work.
Old 09-16-09, 11:23 PM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
they've got a strap atachment adaptor for that bag but its still a bit of a kluge so i'd advise against it.

you could also just use a couple of toe straps and snug it under the saddle like a tool roll.

you also won't break the bag if you take the mechanism off and attach some straps of your own choosing using some small parts etc.
Old 09-17-09, 07:25 AM
Map maker

Bikes: Ventana El Ciclon, Walt Works 29er, Specialized Enduro (fixed up for my son).

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you could make your own adapter that would grip the rails and then hold the clip.
Hardware stores are your best bet. There is one old guy there, who will have fun helping you figure this out.

I would probably make something out of wood or figure out how to strap it my self like the Carradice bags with a wooden dowel or something on the inside of the bag and leather straps.

Last edited by cbchess; 09-23-09 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-17-09, 02:22 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
I have the large Ortlieb saddlebag, and I can imagine there are a number of seats that bag wouldn't fit under. I had to mess around for quite a while before it fit on my saddle, and I would say my saddle is not at all unusual. The good news is that I now can carry a small watermelon or a severed head under my seat. You never know when that could come in handy

I don't know if you've used the bag, but twist the straps in the opposite direction from each other so they don't unwind. I don't know how Ortlieb gets the straps to look so flat in their pictures, I think it's misleading.
Old 09-17-09, 02:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you mean the Ortlieb 'optional' straps? Could you possibly post a pic? - I can't really visualize what you are saying.

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I have the large Ortlieb saddlebag, and I can imagine there are a number of seats that bag wouldn't fit under. I had to mess around for quite a while before it fit on my saddle, and I would say my saddle is not at all unusual. The good news is that I now can carry a small watermelon or a severed head under my seat. You never know when that could come in handy

I don't know if you've used the bag, but twist the straps in the opposite direction from each other so they don't unwind. I don't know how Ortlieb gets the straps to look so flat in their pictures, I think it's misleading.
Old 09-17-09, 02:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
they've got a strap atachment adaptor for that bag but its still a bit of a kluge so i'd advise against it.
I did in fact try the optional straps today. Looked OK when I set off, but soon the bag was hanging down like a pair of rapper's pants.
Old 09-17-09, 07:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ty-wrapped a Topeak quick-release under my B17. Took some fiddling but it's stayed put since I installed it early August.

Assuming the quick-release for your Ortlieb mounts to the saddle rails, you may be able to do the same thing.
Old 09-18-09, 08:56 AM
Randomhead

Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Originally Posted by snoogly
Do you mean the Ortlieb 'optional' straps? Could you possibly post a pic? - I can't really visualize what you are saying.
the closure straps should be twisted in opposite directions to keep the bag from opening and dropping its contents.
Old 09-18-09, 03:19 PM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by snoogly
I did in fact try the optional straps today. Looked OK when I set off, but soon the bag was hanging down like a pair of rapper's pants.

exactly, a clusterfuzzle of klugeness. I consistently advise against the offical strap adaptor from ortlieb for this.

try taking the bracket off the bag (simple plastic 10mm nuts inside should be) and see if you can do a quality attachment of some strapping with short wood screws mounting the strap to the plastic nuts inside.... more like a Jannd saddlebag...
Old 09-18-09, 03:48 PM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If you're partial to the under-seat type of bag, Topeak has non-QR versions of their Aerowedge. I use one with a B-17 and it's not a problem. But, same deal with their QR version: It just won't fit on a Brooks.
Old 09-21-09, 12:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A severed head you say? Hmm, I could see where that could come in handy. I feel a Holloween prank comming on muahahaha!

Originally Posted by unterhausen

Old 09-23-09, 02:47 PM
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That bag WILL fit a Brooks (b-17 and Swift in my house). It doesn't work well and severely limits your positioning.

I think some U shaped cable nuts might fix the problem. I just went back to a Regal.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.