Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New Bike Thrills

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New Bike Thrills

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-10, 08:25 PM
Don't Panic

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Aurora Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Bike Thrills

Had to post something - I finally got my new (to me) 2008 Aurora Elite! It's the most gorgeous thing sitting in my living room and I am now counting the days until snow is gone and I can ride again (yes, I know I could ride in the snow, but I should not). I wanted to ask around the forums for advice to a new rider - I'm just starting commuting seriously so I wanted to see if people had advice on things to watch out for, things I might need (and not think of), etc.

Also, what's with bike names? I couldn't get the right name until I settled on a guy's name...and my boyfriend names his bikes after girls. Makes perfect sense to me....thoughts?

Apologies for rambling, I am REALLY excited about this bike.
Old 02-10-10, 08:47 PM
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most important thing for a new bike: post pictures!
Old 02-10-10, 08:52 PM
Don't Panic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lambo_vt
Most important thing for a new bike: post pictures!
On their way....charging camera batteries so that I can actually take a picture!
Old 02-10-10, 09:10 PM
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I freaking love the Aurora Elite, especially if you have the color scheme I'm thinking of... blue and white? Back when it was more of a cyclocross bike than touring? Carbon fork, 10 speed with a double, etc, I think?
Old 02-10-10, 09:26 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trillian42

Also, what's with bike names? I couldn't get the right name until I settled on a guy's name...and my boyfriend names his bikes after girls. Makes perfect sense to me....thoughts?

Apologies for rambling, I am REALLY excited about this bike.
Seems easy enough to name. Arthur or Marvin.
Old 02-11-10, 02:57 AM

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Sorry, can't help with the name thing. I have a LHT and say "i'm gonna ride my LHT today".

Enjoy the bike and yes, you should ride it in the snow. I've ridden mine and enjoy the thrill of being overly cautious. I'm now waiting to see how long it will take me to fall off due to the ice, snow, and slush on the road after our recent storm. I almost put my foot down yesterday morning to stop a potential slip and fall, not sure if i'll count that or not. Oh, the small joys of year round commuting.
Old 02-11-10, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ahhh, that new bike smell...
Old 02-11-10, 06:49 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike. How about Borealis for a name (or Boris for short)?

The Jamis Aurora should make a great commuter. I actually tried to buy one of their frames, but they only sell complete bikes. With all the snow you've been getting lately in PA, sounds like it might be a while before you ride it though.
Old 02-11-10, 07:31 AM
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
+1 on the pics, can't get enough of the Aurora and Aurora Elite, but as gorgeous as they are, I've never seen one in the flesh. Shops around here don't cater to the touring riders very much.

The 2010 Elite is interesting with disc brakes, one of a small handful of disc-equipped touring bikes that don't have a radically sloping top tube. I'd almost certainly be shopping for one if my current bikes didn't have many more years in them.

Can't help with the naming thing, I've never felt that need...
Old 02-11-10, 08:34 AM
Don't Panic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lambo_vt
I freaking love the Aurora Elite, especially if you have the color scheme I'm thinking of... blue and white? Back when it was more of a cyclocross bike than touring? Carbon fork, 10 speed with a double, etc, I think?
No, its "Ivory/Moss Green" (which looks more like a smoky blue in real life), but yes, Carbon fork, 10 speed etc, etc. I love this bike already.

Originally Posted by exile
Sorry, can't help with the name thing. I have a LHT and say "i'm gonna ride my LHT today".

Enjoy the bike and yes, you should ride it in the snow. I've ridden mine and enjoy the thrill of being overly cautious. I'm now waiting to see how long it will take me to fall off due to the ice, snow, and slush on the road after our recent storm.
While I'm with you that it would be fun, and there's that adrenaline rush of waiting to see if you're going to fall or not, I'm overly prone to falling while on two feet (and have the bruises to show for it). I have a couple of events (performances, auditions, etc) that require me to be mobile in the next month or so, so no riding for me (as much as I'd like to). As for the name thing, I've named it Shadow, and it works just fine for me.