Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The 41 refugee thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-10, 08:22 AM
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter
Good point and definitely worth considering. I've given myself headaches with too tight of a cycling cap on under the helmet.
+1
Old 08-08-10, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter
Good point and definitely worth considering. I've given myself headaches with too tight of a cycling cap on under the helmet.
On a related note, I had terrific headaches with one pair of sunglasses that didn't fit right. The were constantly sliding down my nose, so I had to scrunch my face a bit to keep them in place. Scrunched face + three hours = artificially induced migraine. Took me a depressingly long time to diagnose this problem, but at least it was easy to solve...
Old 08-08-10, 09:52 AM

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks for all the headache advice. I'm going to trial and error test all of the info you've given me
Old 08-08-10, 10:11 AM

Bikes: '03 Klein Q Carbon Race, 105/ultegra, reynolds wheels, toupe saddle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question about group rides. I've ridden in 3 so far, and there seems to be differences of when to yell 'slowing'. I tend to only use it when I'm going for my brakes. It seems kind of unnecessary to do if I stop pedaling for a couple seconds because the rider in front of me is doing the same, but on one of the rides, I got yelled at for it. Today's ride was fairly quiet though, if the pace dropped a mph or two, people just coasted to compensate, no calls of 'slowing'.

Is this just group specific? Do I need to say it every time?

Last edited by Chef151; 08-08-10 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-08-10, 10:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the topic of headaches --

I'm really bad about grinding my teeth. While I have a special dental apparatus to use while sleeping - and other times like when I'm reading/studying if I want to, I don't use it when riding. As I grind/grit my teeth whenever I'm intensely doing anything, it's quite easy for me to end up with a major headache at the end of a ride. Just got to be very conscious of it, as there are strategies I can use to prevent doing it.

Just another thing to add to the list. Fits, in a way, with the posture comments. I tend to be a "(in)tense" person, so I try to keep my hands relaxed on the bars, shoulders loose, teeth in a non-grinding position, etc.
Old 08-08-10, 10:33 AM
Ninja don't wear flipflop

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix SL3, BMC TM01...if it every ships

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chef151
Question about group rides. I've ridden in 3 so far, and there seems to be differences of when to yell 'slowing'. I tend to only use it when I'm going for my brakes. It seems kind of unnecessary to do if I stop pedaling for a couple seconds because the rider in front of me is doing the same, but on one of the rides, I got yelled at for it. Today's ride was fairly quiet though, if the pace dropped a mph or two, people just coasted to compensate, no calls of 'slowing'.

If this just group specific? Do I need to say it every time?
I can't recall ever letting someone know I was freewheeling or for that matter anyone else telling me. Sounds like the guy behind was following too close for a training ride or being inattentive.
Old 08-08-10, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you run a SRAM red chainring on a rival crank?
Old 08-08-10, 11:30 AM
Writin' stuff

Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts
yes. Just get the BCD (bolt circle diameter) right. 110 for compact, 130 for standard.
Old 08-08-10, 11:30 AM
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
Can you run a SRAM red chainring on a rival crank?
yes

Last edited by echappist; 08-08-10 at 11:31 AM. Reason: cat 1 ninja beat me to it
Old 08-08-10, 11:31 AM
Writin' stuff

Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts
I win
Old 08-08-10, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks guys. I figured it would work just wanted check. My rival compact is only a 50/36 and I think I could use a 34 on climbs.
Old 08-08-10, 12:13 PM
Has coddling tendencies.

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by forrest_m
On a related note, I had terrific headaches with one pair of sunglasses that didn't fit right. The were constantly sliding down my nose, so I had to scrunch my face a bit to keep them in place. Scrunched face + three hours = artificially induced migraine. Took me a depressingly long time to diagnose this problem, but at least it was easy to solve...
Yes, or sun glasses that are too tight around the temples/ears. I had a pair like that, and while they stayed in place, they also pressed hard enough into my skull to begin hurting after an hour.

The bottom line to the whole fit topic is to find a way to efficiently pedal a bike in as relaxed a position as possible. And even when the body geometry to bike numbers match up, some things you have to be conscious of and deliberately work on, such as not scrunching your face. No doubt an entire thread could be created to address those issues:
  • hand tension/position to ward off numbness
  • saddle angle, seating posture, sit bone alignment
  • pedaling style, foot comfort and avoiding hot spots
  • clothing choice and accessory issues as it relates to comfort
Old 08-08-10, 12:25 PM
Has coddling tendencies.

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kuf
For those of you that love coffee but don't like caffeine Teeccino
Sigh, the problem with a coffee alternative is that with coffee I was fully aware that while drinking it I was getting a dose of that sweet caffeine, which is one of the most pleasantly mood altering, uplifting, calming sensations. The whole ritual appealed to me: the preparation, the aroma, the color, the temperature, taste... There are few things like it, and I fully understand the addiction/habit factors involved. I was a happy addict. No coffee commercial ever offended me. No coffee stain was unpleasant. I could totally hang with people who dreamily drink hot cups of Joe all day long. And I'd still be one of them if only it didn't give me friggin headaches!

I'm waiting for the mad scientists to find a way to genetically alter caffeine so that it didn't induce those headaches.

Last edited by KiddSisko; 08-08-10 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-08-10, 01:37 PM
dmp
'84 and '09 Pinarellos

Bikes: '84 Pinarello Record Equipe rebuilt with Campy Chorus/ Record; 2009 Pinarello Paris/ Campy SR 11sp; Litespeed Tuscany w Campy SR 11 speed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ijen0311
Thanks for all the headache advice. I'm going to trial and error test all of the info you've given me
One additional idea- you mentioned that you have chronic sinus problems. It's possible that your riding position and additional effort on longer rides is causing more sinus irritation (increased secretions, pooling of secretions etc.). Have you tried sinus irrigation (neti pot with buffered saline) before you ride?
Old 08-08-10, 02:06 PM
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts

Is this just group specific? Do I need to say it every time?
There's no need to yell slowing or anything else on a group ride unless something unusual happens like "MOOSE" or "TORNADO" .

If someone coasts in front of you and you begin to drift too close to them you can coast or, a better option, is to NOT touch the brakes and soft pedal.

Soft pedaling means you continue to spin your legs but you don't apply pressure. This will save you energy and in the long run as it takes more energy to to spin you legs up to speed from a coasting position than it does to keep spinning It may give you and edge over your competitors.

Old 08-08-10, 02:15 PM

Bikes: '03 Klein Q Carbon Race, 105/ultegra, reynolds wheels, toupe saddle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
There's no need to yell slowing or anything else on a group ride unless something unusual happens like "MOOSE" or "TORNADO" .

If someone coasts in front of you and you begin to drift too close to them you can coast or, a better option, is to NOT touch the brakes and soft pedal.

Soft pedaling means you continue to spin your legs but you don't apply pressure. This will save you energy and in the long run as it takes more energy to to spin you legs up to speed from a coasting position than it does to keep spinning It may give you and edge over your competitors.
Ok, that clears up that then. And good tip on the end, I would have never thought about that.

I think a few members of the group get a little over excited about yelling things out, but again, its the only group ive rode in, so I wasnt sure what was normal. Thanks.
Old 08-08-10, 03:08 PM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Ok, that clears up that then. And good tip on the end, I would have never thought about that.

I think a few members of the group get a little over excited about yelling things out, but again, its the only group ive rode in, so I wasnt sure what was normal. Thanks.
Another thing you can do is clack your brake levers. I do it with the smaller lever of the Campy levers, used to do it with the rear brake lever (since it's not really used to stop it's kind of unused when stopping). Clack fast at first to get attention, the slow it down as your speed drops.

I do call out stuff on the road - grates and such - because I prefer to keep both hands on the bars. I point if it's just one or two riders with me, or if I feel like it.

cdr
Old 08-08-10, 04:28 PM

Bikes: 2000 Cannondale CAAD3 Triple 105/Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Headaches- Sounds silly but check your helmet tightness and perhaps try on a larger size. Used to get headaches after motorcycle races and went up a helmet size...no more headaches.
Dealt with that. The fortunate thing (for me, at least) is that the relief is nearly immediate.
Old 08-08-10, 04:31 PM
Nerd

Bikes: Cervelo R3 SL, Cervelo P2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What percent of the racers at a typical race are women? I want to get into it, but I don't want to be the only one. It would be intimidating.
I've participated in lots of male-dominated sports, but I haven't felt so conspicuous since I first started snowboarding and was one of only two women on the entire mountain on a snowboard (the other woman was my sister in law). Women are a very small percentage and we stick out like sore thumbs. Luckily we get our own races.

Originally Posted by hammy56
women have their own category...field sizes vary depending on location and course...go spectate at a few races and see if it peaks your interest.
I disagree. If you can handle yourself in a group, and keep yourself smooth and not make sudden movements, go try a race. No need to spectate first. Find a women's Cat 4 only field.

Originally Posted by kuf
<Edited by Admin>
Odd. It's still there.

My question: I've been doing Women's Cat 4 races only this year. The previous two years I did some Women's open fields but those were an exercise in frustration. I only managed to hold on to the field in one of the Open fields, and that's because there were 9 of us and everyone was taking it easy because there was a major race the next day.

This year, NJ split the Crit Championships into two days - one for Masters. Well, the person in charge of the Masters Crit Championship has decided to lump the Women, Men 55+ and Men 65+ into a single field, and throw in some non Masters championship races. I've never raced with the men before. My team is talking about boycotting in entirely. I'm not sure if I should try it or not. My team captain has me scared to race with men (that's how she broke her arm). After that race, I have two more crits left in my season and both are Women's Open fields. So I'm wondering if I should try to race with the older men, or take another weekend to work on hard intervals.

Last edited by Tom Stormcrowe; 08-09-10 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-08-10, 06:42 PM

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hurley.girl
I've participated in lots of male-dominated sports, but I haven't felt so conspicuous since I first started snowboarding and was one of only two women on the entire mountain on a snowboard (the other woman was my sister in law). Women are a very small percentage and we stick out like sore thumbs. Luckily we get our own races.

This year, NJ split the Crit Championships into two days - one for Masters. Well, the person in charge of the Masters Crit Championship has decided to lump the Women, Men 55+ and Men 65+ into a single field, and throw in some non Masters championship races. I've never raced with the men before. My team is talking about boycotting in entirely. I'm not sure if I should try it or not. My team captain has me scared to race with men (that's how she broke her arm). After that race, I have two more crits left in my season and both are Women's Open fields. So I'm wondering if I should try to race with the older men, or take another weekend to work on hard intervals.
Wow. You should come up to the Northeast. There's plenty of women boarders on the mountains up here. At least 30%-40%. I can't tell you about the races as I don't watch them.

I would not be afraid of Masters in terms of riding skills. The problem may be speed, but if you stick together as a group in the field it may be a very interesting experience.
Old 08-08-10, 07:47 PM

Bikes: Giant, Jamis fixie, Orbea Orca; Ceverlo P2SL TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My question: I've been doing Women's Cat 4 races only this year. The previous two years I did some Women's open fields but those were an exercise in frustration. I only managed to hold on to the field in one of the Open fields, and that's because there were 9 of us and everyone was taking it easy because there was a major race the next day.

This year, NJ split the Crit Championships into two days - one for Masters. Well, the person in charge of the Masters Crit Championship has decided to lump the Women, Men 55+ and Men 65+ into a single field, and throw in some non Masters championship races. I've never raced with the men before. My team is talking about boycotting in entirely. I'm not sure if I should try it or not. My team captain has me scared to race with men (that's how she broke her arm). After that race, I have two more crits left in my season and both are Women's Open fields. So I'm wondering if I should try to race with the older men, or take another weekend to work on hard intervals.[/QUOTE]

Around here.. the Men's Master's races are faster.... but much safer for reason's already stated.. these guys tend to be more sensible.. though fast... knowing that folks don't heal as quick.. and most of us still have jobs we have to go to come Monday morning... If you know someone in the field.. tell him you're going to race and ask if you can sit his wheel....for the first few laps... he'll probably say yes and keep and eye out for you in the race...

Good luck
Old 08-08-10, 07:53 PM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
I would not be afraid of Masters in terms of riding skills. The problem may be speed, but if you stick together as a group in the field it may be a very interesting experience.
I've done several "mixed" races with P1/2 women's fields. The issue is less with riding skills and pace (at least until the road tilted up or we hit some nasty crosswinds) but the racing dynamic; there's always somebody who refuses to let an opposite gender break roll up the road and will try to chase or bridge. Saturday's race we had two very strong women in with us who made all the selections.

You'll find the upper cat Master's fields generally race their bikes really well, less to do with testosterone or survival instinct, but rather experience and skills. Lower category stuff can be sketchy.
Old 08-08-10, 08:33 PM
Making a kilometer blurry

Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
You'll find the upper cat Master's fields generally race their bikes really well, less to do with testosterone or survival instinct, but rather experience and skills. Lower category stuff can be sketchy.
+1

The Driveway 3/4 race was such a disappointment after two months of 35+ 1-4 racing.
Old 08-09-10, 08:28 AM
Nerd

Bikes: Cervelo R3 SL, Cervelo P2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Wow. You should come up to the Northeast. There's plenty of women boarders on the mountains up here. At least 30%-40%. I can't tell you about the races as I don't watch them.
I was talking about 1994. Back then, there were very few women snowboarders. My sister in law and I would be the only women actually boarding. I've seen the number of women on boards increase drastically.

I've seen a small but noticeable increase in the number of Cat 4 women at local races in the last 3 years. So that's promising.
Old 08-09-10, 09:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One last thought/comment on the headaches: do you spend a lot of time in the aerobars? Could be some additional muscle tension based on that, either in your neck/shoulders to keep your head up or maybe you're raising your eyebrows to look up the road...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.