Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

wiring for hub dynamo

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-12, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wiring for hub dynamo

I have a shimano hub dynamo running an Edulux front light but trying to connect in a Smart TL267RG tail light (led). I can run either light but not the two together. It won't work either in series or parallel. Both lights are self earthing ie I use the frame to connect back to the dynamo. What is the way to do this please?
Old 04-23-12, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe try skipping the self earthing and run two dedicated wires to each light straight from the hub? With painted frames and road grime it's questionable how well most frames actually are at transmitting electricity anyways.
Old 04-25-12, 08:12 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Hub dynamos are usually alternators by now, so frame ground
like the DC Union bottle dynamos of old is not applicable.
Old 04-26-12, 12:27 PM

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not familiar with the Smart tail light, but a hub dynamo puts out an AC voltage, and LEDs require a DC voltage. There needs to be some rectification that takes place. In the case of the Edulux headlight, there is a full wave rectifier built into the light - my guess is that the tail light does not have rectification built in, but relies on the fact that the LED by itself will provide rectification. I use the Supernova E3 headlight, which has a DC output from the internal rectifier to power an LED tail light.

What you might try is to go to Radioshack and buy a "Full-Wave Bridge rectifier" It will have two terminals marked with a ~ and then two marked + and -. Connect the two marked ~ to the dynamo, in parallel with the Edelux headlight, and then connect the other two to your tail light - you may need to swap the polarity of the taillight to get it to work right....

Mark
Old 04-26-12, 03:20 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,708 Times in 2,527 Posts
most tail lights will take the dyno output directly. The E3 taillight is an exception, and I suppose it's possible that the Smart light also requires a special headlight. I couldn't see any instructions online, so it's hard to know for sure
Old 04-28-12, 12:51 AM

Bikes: '89 Specialized Hardrock Fixed Gear Commuter; 1984? Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The Edulux has a blade connector to attach the taillight wiring to, according to this:
https://www.nabendynamo.de/produkte/p...e_Edelux_e.pdf

I don't have either light myself...
Good luck.