Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting old and cranky...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-12, 10:59 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts

Other than the fact that after a good ride I like to go to my local roadhouse (1/2 mi. from my house) for a beer and a grinder (Non-New Englanders think sub) this has little to do with cycling. But, for the second time this year my local roadhouse has dropped the beer I like to have after a ride. First it was Narragansett and now Stella Artois. The Stella was the replacement for the 'gansett. Now all they have are IPA's, three wheat beers (including some god-awful pumpkin one), hard ciders and all the usual garbage Bud and Bud clones. Not a lager/pilsner to be found. I go to this place 3-5 times a week. All I want is a dammed drinking lager. Now I don't even want to go there and it used to be one of my hangs. I'm pissed and cranky.
Old 06-01-12, 11:20 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm an ale drinker myself, so I'd likely be happy with the IPA's, as long as they were hoppy enough. I also work the other end of the ale spectrum, drinking dark stouts (oatmeal stouts/porters are a favorite). So I'm really surprised that they wouldn't have lagers. Usually most places have too many lagers, because lagers are so easy to brew and the taste is so uniform. Which is why I'm not much of a lager fan. I like beer that has some taste to it, which means ales! But yeah, ya gotta have some lagers for people who like lagers & Euro-beer. But I agree with you that the Bud and Bud clones are total crap! I tried a Bud once and it was like drinking flavored water. Or was it a cheap MGD? It's what kids like to drink just to get drunk.

Sorry if you're a Bud fan, I didn't mean to insult your sense of taste, I'm just stating what I like. Each to his own.

Luis
Old 06-01-12, 11:26 AM

If they would just have Harp or Moretti or Peroni or some decent Pale Ales or Pilsners. It's just that after a ride I want a fresh, clean beer. Easy to drink but not watery like Bud. Which I always call "Butt Weasel."
Old 06-01-12, 12:10 PM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Half Serious Solution

Originally Posted by bruce19
.. I like to go to my local roadhouse (1/2 mi. from my house) for a beer and a grinder ...All I want is a dammed drinking lager. Now I don't even want to go there and it used to be one of my hangs. I'm pissed and cranky.
Assuming that you still like the grinders, why not bring them a six pack of your favorite bottled beer weekly and ask them to keep it chilled for you. They might laugh and go for the suggestion. Then post ride, you just arrive, order your grinder and preferred beer. This will send them a subtle message, too, that you're a neighborhood customer and you would prefer a different beer selection.
Old 06-01-12, 12:11 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'd be happy with the IPA's too, and in fact have tested them as an after ride recovery drink and found them most satisfying . . . but that's just me. YMMV, and probably will.

Rick / OCRR
Old 06-01-12, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Assuming that you still like the grinders, why not bring them a six pack of your favorite bottled beer weekly and ask them to keep it chilled for you. They might laugh and go for the suggestion. Then post ride, you just arrive, order your grinder and preferred beer. This will send them a subtle message, too, that you're a neighborhood customer and you would prefer a different beer selection.
Great minds and all that. I was thinking about doing just that.
Old 06-01-12, 12:57 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
I'd be happy with the IPA's too, and in fact have tested them as an after ride recovery drink and found them most satisfying . . . but that's just me. YMMV, and probably will.

Rick / OCRR
A few racing buddies met at my house last night and we rode some training intervals. After the workout we sat on my deck and did the recovery thing by eating chips and salsa along with a 12 pk of Yeungling lager.

Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 06-01-12 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-01-12, 01:19 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
We water drinkers don't have your problems, so we don't get "cranky"

The "old" part I leave to nature
Old 06-01-12, 02:11 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Beer snobbery is at an all-time high. I'm okay with that, mostly, except that when someone who either prefers one of the popular beers, or honestly doesn't know what the snooty beers are, it makes them uncomfortable and that's the last thing any respectable pub should be doing to its customers.

For a lot of the places local to me, the hipster standby (PBR) is usually available and is often the cheapest option. I usually like the snooty stuff, but sometimes I'm a little light in the wallet and just thirsty and a PBR hits the spot just fine (especially when it's hot).

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 06-01-12, 02:23 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ale drinker here except for some of the "Light" Belgian beers. By light I mean low alcohol. But Pubs in England used to be tied to a brewery. The brewery provided the beer as they owned the Pub and had Tenant Landlords. You either liked that beer or went to another pub. There are fewer Tied pubs now as apparently they do not pay and large chains have bought some pubs- pubs have closed or the tenant bought the pub and turns it into a "Freehouse" where he can serve any beer. Luckily this has meant that I can get my favourite beer-"Spitfire" in most towns in Sussex. This was not the case 20 years ago as Sussex is Sussex and Sussex beer was the best--For Sussex people. I was bought up in Kent and I liked Kent beers. 25 years ago I moved to sussex and that sussex beer is good. But I had to hunt out my favourite beer and it was always in bottles and expensive.

However with the upsurge in Freehouses I have been able to get that beer in most towns. Still have to hunt for it but it is great to have a beer you enjoy. Whern Wobbly and I do meet up we will be able to enjoy a decent pint of Harveys-the local brewery- in most pubs but I will have to see if he enjoys one of our old Kentish ales.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-01-12, 04:55 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I don't do beer . . .
Am originally from Belgium a land of great dark beers with good alcahol content.
Came to the US in 1947 and beer was 3.2 . . . too light, no flavor.
Didn't like it . . . and switched to an occasional glass of wine.
Old 06-01-12, 05:26 PM

Bikes: Lynskey Helix, Wilier Izorad XP, Specialized M2 and a Trek 8500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
I'm an ale drinker myself, so I'd likely be happy with the IPA's, as long as they were hoppy enough. I also work the other end of the ale spectrum, drinking dark stouts (oatmeal stouts/porters are a favorite). So I'm really surprised that they wouldn't have lagers. Usually most places have too many lagers, because lagers are so easy to brew and the taste is so uniform. Which is why I'm not much of a lager fan. I like beer that has some taste to it, which means ales! But yeah, ya gotta have some lagers for people who like lagers & Euro-beer. But I agree with you that the Bud and Bud clones are total crap! I tried a Bud once and it was like drinking flavored water. Or was it a cheap MGD? It's what kids like to drink just to get drunk.

Sorry if you're a Bud fan, I didn't mean to insult your sense of taste, I'm just stating what I like. Each to his own.

Luis
+1, we should hang out and put down a couple IPA's
Old 06-01-12, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
You don't know what you're missing.
Old 06-01-12, 07:45 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
You don't know what you're missing.
You mean I am missing the "cranky" part or the "old" part?

I can't help the old part, but I sure don't seem to have the cranky part, at least from what I drink. Cool, clear water. Refreshing.
Old 06-01-12, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam
Ale drinker here except for some of the "Light" Belgian beers. By light I mean low alcohol. But Pubs in England used to be tied to a brewery.
Don't know what you think of it but I love some of the Samuel Smith's brews...Nut Brown Ale and Old Brewery Pale Ale are two of my favorites.
Old 06-01-12, 08:09 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I don't rely on anyone but myself to have the brew waiting for me at the end of a ride. It's the reason we have a second small refrigerator stocked with a variety of our favorite brews. So, if I'm cranky it's my own fault.
Old 06-02-12, 08:49 AM

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If they would just have Harp or Moretti or Peroni or some decent Pale Ales or Pilsners. It's just that after a ride I want a fresh, clean beer. Easy to drink but not watery like Bud. Which I always call "Butt Weasel."
Biking down the coast of Oregon, we stopped in a microbrewery/pub that served food and, of course, beer. Every once in a while, one of the waiters would ring a ship's bell on the wall and all the wait-staff would chant, "Near beer, near beer." Turns out this happens every time someone orders a Bud Light or something similar. I'm not sure whether the customer ordering understood the significance. As my college age daughter complained after attending a party with only Bud Light, "Where's the taste?"
Old 06-06-12, 04:49 PM

Cranky Beer Guy update:

I went over to my roadhouse and got a grinder (sub) and the bartender asked if I wanted a beer. I told her I wasn't drinking there anymore 'cause they tossed my beer out. The owner (Rob) happened to be around the corner. He came in and said. "What wrong?" I said, "Rob, you dumped Stella. I've got nothing to drink here." He said, "I can't sell it. Does it have to be Stella?" "No, Rob but it's got to be a Lager...you know crisp and clean. Something like Harp or Peroni or Moretti." Rob says, "I love Peroni. Can it be in bottles?" "Absolutely as long as I can get a chilled glass with it." "I'll have it this week", says Rob. That was yesterday. Today I came in with a bottle of BBC Steel Rail as a present to Rob for being so patient with me. As I came through the door the bartender says, "We don't have the new beer yet. Can I get you a Sam Adams?" Sure. I gave her the BBC for Rob and he came down and we talked about beer and the Peroni coming in tomorrow. He was itching to try the BBC. Later the Manager came down to the bar and she said, "I told him 'that man' is going to be upset if you don't have Stella. But we're going to have some Italian beer." I replied, "I know. I just talked to Rob." Later she showed up again and said, "I found this Stella glass. You should take it home with you." So, I walked out a happy guy once again. And, feeling a lot better about my roadhouse. Tomorrow...Peroni.
Old 06-06-12, 06:39 PM

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A good end to the story. I used to like beer when I was younger, but now even half a can and I don't want the rest. Any kind of alchol and me just don't agree.
Old 06-07-12, 08:19 PM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cranky Beer Guy update:

I went over to my roadhouse and got a grinder (sub) and the bartender asked if I wanted a beer. I told her I wasn't drinking there anymore 'cause they tossed my beer out. The owner (Rob) happened to be around the corner. He came in and said. "What wrong?" I said, "Rob, you dumped Stella. I've got nothing to drink here." He said, "I can't sell it. Does it have to be Stella?" "No, Rob but it's got to be a Lager...you know crisp and clean. Something like Harp or Peroni or Moretti." Rob says, "I love Peroni. Can it be in bottles?" "Absolutely as long as I can get a chilled glass with it." "I'll have it this week", says Rob. That was yesterday. Today I came in with a bottle of BBC Steel Rail as a present to Rob for being so patient with me. As I came through the door the bartender says, "We don't have the new beer yet. Can I get you a Sam Adams?" Sure. I gave her the BBC for Rob and he came down and we talked about beer and the Peroni coming in tomorrow. He was itching to try the BBC. Later the Manager came down to the bar and she said, "I told him 'that man' is going to be upset if you don't have Stella. But we're going to have some Italian beer." I replied, "I know. I just talked to Rob." Later she showed up again and said, "I found this Stella glass. You should take it home with you." So, I walked out a happy guy once again. And, feeling a lot better about my roadhouse. Tomorrow...Peroni.
THIS is what will bring me back to a place - somebody who actually cares about what the Customer wants!

My wife and I are now serious Rogue Brewing converts, just because of the manager of our local tasting room - they may not be able to meet every request (which really would be unreasonable to expect), but they care about what Customers think and do their best to serve them up!
Old 06-08-12, 05:46 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Speak for yourself, Denver!
Old 06-08-12, 05:55 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Our son gave me a selection of ales last Christmas so I don't have to depend on a pub. if there was one close by that wasn't a redneck dive I'd be there in a heart beat (a real English Pub, not a poseur like we have in a few places in town.) For a committed Southern Baptist he sure can select ales or at least his friends can.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13