Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Routes through Fountain Valley / HB?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-14, 12:09 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts

#1 son has a soccer game in Fountain Valley at Lakeview Park on Saturday (which is ironic, I can't find any evidence of a lake). Anyway, I'm going to try to ride there and back to get some weekend miles in, so I'll probably come down SGRT or LART and go home on SART via this park.

How is Warner ave from the beach east? (Looks like the bike path ends at Newland st, which is where the park is anyway). Google street view shows a lot of construction, which is never fun on a bike.

How is Slater ave from about Graham st. all the way over to SART?

My last option is to ride along PCH and zip north on Newland St and return the same way. Since this is the longest option, I'll probably prefer it unless I'm running late. It looks good on street view - is it?

This is kind of what I'm thinking, but I need an early bail out in case I leave late, which is where Warner/Slater enter into the discussion. Lakeview Park - A bike ride in L.A., CA 80 miles, 1200 feet. Comical.

Thanks!
Old 04-07-14, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warner is fine from the beach east, but a bit high speed. Hang a right on Graham and a left on Slater to the park. Never been to the east side on Huntington on Slater, so I couldn't say about the way home.
Old 04-07-14, 01:31 PM
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Be sure to show up in full kit. The embarrassment factor for my kids when i ride to their games increases with lycra and hiviz colors, lol.
Old 04-07-14, 03:50 PM
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by JSMaxwell
Warner is fine from the beach east, but a bit high speed. Hang a right on Graham and a left on Slater to the park. Never been to the east side on Huntington on Slater, so I couldn't say about the way home.
OK, thanks. High speed is OK as long as there's room for me at the side... high speed when you're forced into the lane is not my idea of fun.

Originally Posted by f4rrest
Be sure to show up in full kit. The embarrassment factor for my kids when i ride to their games increases with lycra and hiviz colors, lol.
Old 04-07-14, 04:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trust me on the right on Graham and left on Slater. Slater has a great bike lane & pavement. Its where you are going to end up anyway, so just cut over at the first chance on Graham. It be surprised if five cars passed you on Slater from Graham to Goldenwest.
Old 04-07-14, 10:34 PM
Half Fast

Bikes: A road bike and a tandem road bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JSMaxwell
Trust me on the right on Graham and left on Slater. Slater has a great bike lane & pavement. Its where you are going to end up anyway, so just cut over at the first chance on Graham. It be surprised if five cars passed you on Slater from Graham to Goldenwest.
+1

Slater does get a little crazy around Beach Blvd. If you're an experienced rider you won't have any trouble. Just increase the level of awareness a couple of notches.
Old 04-07-14, 11:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mwandaw
+1

Slater does get a little crazy around Beach Blvd. If you're an experienced rider you won't have any trouble. Just increase the level of awareness a couple of notches.
I'm not sure what the point of this post is. Beach Blvd. is a huge street. All it's intersections are quite large, particularly ones like Warner/Beach that lead to the freeway.
Old 04-08-14, 06:55 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
#1 son has a soccer game in Fountain Valley at Lakeview Park on Saturday (which is ironic, I can't find any evidence of a lake). Anyway, I'm going to try to ride there and back to get some weekend miles in, so I'll probably come down SGRT or LART and go home on SART via this park.

How is Warner ave from the beach east? (Looks like the bike path ends at Newland st, which is where the park is anyway). Google street view shows a lot of construction, which is never fun on a bike.

How is Slater ave from about Graham st. all the way over to SART?

My last option is to ride along PCH and zip north on Newland St and return the same way. Since this is the longest option, I'll probably prefer it unless I'm running late. It looks good on street view - is it?

This is kind of what I'm thinking, but I need an early bail out in case I leave late, which is where Warner/Slater enter into the discussion. Lakeview Park - A bike ride in L.A., CA 80 miles, 1200 feet. Comical.

Thanks!
Since I live in H.B. and my kid went to Lakeview elementary, I would say Newland is the street from PCH to ride, not Warner, not Slater.
One interesting note is Newland goes up into Midway City. Not much of a town, but one famous lady from there, Michelle Pfeifer.

Then back on Newland to PCH to SART. Long but less lights and slow traffic.
Old 04-08-14, 07:03 AM

Bikes: Domane Project One, 6 series, Ui2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slater from Graham all the way to SART is a good road and better then Warner. Not as much traffic and will be quite a bit shorter going home then heading back down newland to PCH to SART. I use Slater quite often from HB to Fountain Valley to Costa Mesa
Old 04-08-14, 05:35 PM
SuperGimp

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation.

I know Newland is longer - that's the point. I want to hit 80 miles for the day. It always comes down to how much time is left before the next family commitment though, so I like to have a bail out option just in case.

So GarfieldCat - where's the Lake anyway?
Old 04-08-14, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Fountain Valley, it ain't a valley and there's no fountain.
Old 04-09-14, 06:31 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Ocean View School District has these elementary & middle schools that end in "view". Circle View, Mesa View, etc. I don't know which came first, the park or the school.
Old 04-12-14, 05:19 PM
SuperGimp

Despite the lack of fountains, or valleys, the route turned out to be very enjoyable - I took newland both to and from PCH and got my 81 mile strava thingy accomplished.

Aaaaand no honeydos were completed today AND my wife thinks I'm nuts. All in all a good day.