Old 11-09-09, 12:35 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
... The E3 asymmetrical has a cutoff optic and supposedly works similar to the Cyo/Edelux/Fly, but in scoping out the pix on Peter White's site, it doesn't do that great a job.
http://www.bikeforums.net/newreply.p...ply&p=10008272

Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
I've got the 2nd gen E3, so I guess it's 220L. Regardless of the lumen output, it's brighter than my L&M Solo 13W was, and that light was rated at over 350L. The lux rating for the E3 I have is 80 lux, so just a little brighter than the IQ Cyo Sport, at 60 lux.

The two versions of the E3 are different than the two versions of the Cyo. The E3 symmetrical has no cutoff focusing optics, so it's just a plain old round pattern. The E3 asymmetrical has a cutoff optic and supposedly works similar to the Cyo/Edelux/Fly, but in scoping out the pix on Peter White's site, it doesn't do that great a job.
The E3 is surprisingly just like the 2 versions of the Cyo - the symmetrical (standard) version (suprisingly, to me) lights up further down the road than the asymmetrical version. The assymmetrical version just lights up the side of the road and the road surface with more light (mostly more light off to the sides of you, as I understand it), and doesn't throw extra light up into the trees or peoples faces - but doesn't light as far down the road as the standard version.

I was surprised to find this out, but my opinion came from the following:
1. Viewing pics of the lights in action
2. Then viewing the official pics on the Supernova site (the asymmetrical version doesn't shine as far down the row of benches).
3. Then emailing Supernova - they emailed me back and told me the asymmetrical version doesn't go quite as far down the road themselves.
4. On their site, they also have a chart - the asymmetrical version is rated less for distance (I think it's a 3, and the regular version is a 5/5, I'm to lazy at the moment to actually look it up).

The regular, standard "symmetrical" really seems to be the way to go, as unlike the Cyo I've never heard anyone complain that it doesn't light up the road enough. I suppose the drawback is that it shines more light upwards.