View Single Post
Old 12-14-09, 03:02 PM
crazybikerchick

Bikes: Devinci Caribou, Kona Dew Plus, Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use SPD pedals, and mountain bike shoes (Shimano M075). The shoes are very comfortable and easy to walk in. In fact one 10 day tour I forgot to pack my non-bike shoes so was wearing the bike shoes for camping and everything - and while I did occasionally wish I was not wearing bike shoes (ie. climbing over rocks on the beach), I wasn't unhappy enough to buy shoes on the trip either. I like double-sided pedals for touring as its nice to not have the pedal be the wrong-way around. The clips are really easy to get out of once you are used to them, and you can adjust the tension so they are even easier when you are first starting out. Whatever people have said about clipless being hard to get out of suddenly - its NOT an issue, and I think these comments have been from people that either have never tried or gave up very quickly during the learning period. In addition to the efficiency you have climbing hills (since you can also pull up) it just feels more comfortable to be "attached" to the bike when you are riding it all day long.