Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
Psimet if I bought a set of your wheels from the original purchaser and it was found that you had screwed something up would you fix it or tell me tough luck? At the very least wouldn't you want to see the wheels and see if you had screwed up?
Great question. It's a tricky thing. I have an explanation on my site in the FAQ section, but in general i can say this -

I want to do a good job. If something happens I want to know why. If something happened that was in my opinion my own fault I would probably feel bad enough about it to make some concessions. If it was a component manufacturer's failure then I would take it up with them. At the least I would want to see the problem. All of this, for me, would be true for the original buyer or subsequent owners. I serialize every wheel so I would know just about everything about it.

I'm also a small business. If it wan't the primary purchaser and they were getting snooty about it I would be darn sure not to be taking any loss. I probably wouldn't make any profit on it either. Just no loss for sure.

Devil is always in the details though so I usually don't like to make blanket statements. I would deal with each situation differently.

Example - I had a customer who told me they broke some spokes and were having a difficult time sourcing the particular type. honestly I knew that the customer was a little on the....uh....gravitationally enhanced side of things and that the spokes were not the best application to begin with. I had mentioned that to him before he even bought and he acknowledged that. Still....didn't make me feel any better about it.

When I asked for more details to help determine the cause he was kind of vauge about it and really didn't want anything in return....just some more spokes to buy. I had some spokes on hand and shipped them out priority for free. Complicated situation - a custom build for someone I have never seen in person, a stretch of the initial application, was it a failure due to manufacture? assembly? application? normal use - did he hit a truck? who knows.