View Single Post
Old 02-02-10, 09:27 AM
vincentnyc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chucky
I said I'm going to use a bottle dynamo (ie sidewall dynamo) which is not built in a hub. There are no rear hub dynamos (even externally geared), so if the bottle dynamo can't take the punishment a rear hub dynamo would have to be custom built.

You're not making me feel stupid at all. On the contrary I don't think you realize that with the ReeCharge you have to charge the ReeCharge, then the ReeCharge has to charge the battery in your device, and then the battery in your device has to power your device. This is very inefficient.

Also, my suggestion for the solar panel was not for a replacing a dynamo. I was just saying that, when touring, 90% of the time a front wheel dynamo isn't going to give you anymore power than you would get from a solar panel, except you have drag. The primary disadvantage of both of these is that you cannot generate power while stopped at night (or for rain).

With a rear wheel dynamo you do everything you can do with a front hub dynamo, plus you can generate power while stopped (as opposed to releasing power from an inefficient and environmentally irresponsible string of batteries), plus on sunny days you can completely disconnect it and use a 100% drag free solar panel.

I'm not saying a front hub dynamo isn't best for you. I just wanted to pick your brain because what I'm suggesting is unprecedented and experimental and so I can use as much information as possible. However, my point is I don't think it's fair to say a front hub dynamo has "endless possibilities" when there are some very significant and clear limitations.
how is a side dynamo more effective? u said u dont need to pedal and it will still charge ur devices? where does the energy store to when u stop pedaling on ur side dynamo?

like thors said, the reecharge charge when u pedal, once it is fully charge, and if u have any electronic plug into it, it will charges ur devices directly. and at the end of the day, you can remove the reecharge from ur bike and also plug into ur electronic device. i think that is more efficient in my book.

and it is "endless possiblities for me" cuz it charges all my electronic device, for u maybe not, cuz u bring an rice cooker on ur tour.