Old 02-15-10, 10:48 AM
Randy T

Bikes: Schwinn LeTour, World Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turkey levers

I have been following the forums here for the last several months, and I'm not trying to start a flame war here or anything. I am a newby to the C&V scene, and I am just trying to find out why everyone finds the "turkey levers" and "dork discs" so objectionable. I like reading the forums here quite a bit to learn about bikes that I never heard of before etc. I don't want to start an argument, just looking to gain some insights.

Just some background. I have a 1985 World Sport and 1981 LeTour Mixte for my wife. Those bikes have stock components and like many here, those were the type of bikes I was familiar with when I was younger and riding in college etc. I have no intentions of upgrading them or anything else, but have been performing all the regreasing and adjusting which I have enjoyed doing myself. Our riding now consists merely of riding short trips around the subdivision for exercise and enjoyment and realistically I probably won't be doing any other riding. I must admit, I used the turkey levers in the 70's and still use them riding around now, and don't really use the drops all that much.

That being said, what is so objectionable about them? I don't really care about the weight, and they don't really get in the way. Personally, I actually find them handy if I want to ride using that part of the bars. Is it just that any serious rider would never use them, so that automatically makes them "uncool" by definition? Same question about the dork disc; it is just a piece of metal that sits there, so why are those also considered objectionable by many here?