View Single Post
Old 02-22-10, 06:05 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
Battery advantages:
- Constant light, even when not moving.
- More mount options (helmet, for instance)
- Dollar for dollar, usually brighter than a dyno light.

Battery disadvantages:
- Heavy
- Needs recharged
- Can run out of juice; faster in cold weather

Dyno advantages:
- It won't run out of juice until you do
- LED lights are lightweight and very bright

Dyno disadvantages:
- Expensive to get started with; a dynohub can cost more than an inexpensive, good battery light
- Wiring can be tricky (but it's not really difficult)
- Limited power output (but new lights are bright enough you don't need more than one for most situations)

You can get into a very nice dyno-light setup with a 3N72 wheel for around $190.00, and an IQ Cyo lamp for $125 plus a wired taillight for $30. Considering this is a system which never needs recharged and won't run out of power, plus has a standlight so you don't "disappear" at stop lights, the ~$350 intro price isn't much different than what you would pay for a 600L battery powered system with about 5 hours of runtime.
One of the advantages of battery systems you are missing is portability. I have light mounts on 4 of my now six bikes. I can put mounts on all of them and swap the lights around as much as I like. If I were to go with a dyno system, I'd need at least 2 different wheelsets (one 26" and 1 700C) and probably more (one mountain bike has disc brakes but 2 do not). I'd also need light mounts...since the lights are bolted in place...for all 6 bikes. That adds a hefty sum to the total cost and much duplication.

And, if I don't need the lights, it's pretty easy to strip the light system completely off a bike with a battery system. Not as easy with a dyno...plus you'll need another wheelset

Remember also that one of the reasons that battery lights supplanted dyno lights is the need for constant light in off-road situations. If you are riding up a hill and can't put the wheel fast enough, it gets dark pretty fast.

In the era of the $90 Magic Shine light, dynos don't make a lot of economic sense either. You can buy almost 4 of them for the cost of a single headlamp dyno system. The care and feeding of a battery isn't that onerous
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!