Old 02-22-10, 06:17 PM
mrvile
The bus, Gus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like gear.

I think it looks cool, I love the marketing BS, I love the way people like to talk about it, I really like the idea of ownership in general, and most importantly, it gets me to do whatever it is I do.

I have had several hobbies throughout my life so far, including photography, headphones, computers, and now bikes, to name a few of the more conventional ones. With every hobby, the internet forum is where the majority of my learning comes from, and I have become pretty convinced that a forum is one of the most efficient, free sources of education. But of course, the level of enthusiasm within any forum is going to lead to an obsession with gear, and I have come to both accept and embrace that. For me, the gear is a huge part of what makes a hobby fun because it just gives me an extra thing to learn and think about. And if I'm going to spend several hundreds or even thousands of dollars on something, there will always be an inherent need for its justification, and ultimately I've found that investment is one of the best forms of mental conditioning. That shiny new $200 saddle is going to get me on my damn bike, damnit. In the end, it won't necessarily make me a better cyclist, but I know that it'll make me become a better cyclist.

We're in the age of conspicuous consumption and there's nothing we can do about it, why not enjoy the hell out of it?