Old 03-11-10, 12:36 PM
heyjaffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up a Torker Graduate (I have 3 other bikes: a Surly Long Haul Trucker, old Cannondale Touring, and a Surly Big Dummy) - I was looking for something low maintenance for city riding (DC Metro area). In the past I built up an IRO Rob Roy with a Shimano 8-speed IGH - this was a great city bike, and the Torker improves on this with the drum brakes. The fenders, chainring guard, and partial chaincase are a nice addition as well - these with the drum brakes and IGH mean very little dirt/grease transfer on to me, and very little maintenance. I would not classify the Graduate, as-built, an aggressive ride - the front steering is nimble, but the posture with the stock stem and risers is pretty upright for me. A quick stem flip or swap and/or handlebar adjustment or swap could change this. The Sturmey 5-speed does not seem to shift as smoothly as the Shimano 3, 7, and 8-speed IGH's that I've owned, but it's good enough. The Graduate has some low quality parts here and there that may not stand up to the long-haul with rough riding, but at the price point it's at, it will be easy to fix or replace any issues you might have with the headset, stem, or seatpost.