View Single Post
Old 03-25-10, 05:16 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have this working, hand built, approximately 120 year old wind blown reed organ made by Mason And Hamlin (a well revered builder of fine pianos, even to this day) that so rare, it's pretty much one of a kind:

Here is a copy of an advertisement for the series available at the time:

This organ, if it were a piano built by the same maker, would easily be worth more than my house. Unfortunately, because so few people even know how to play the organ, and even fewer know anything about them, I would be hard pressed to find a buyer, or even a home for it. I've gotten mixed reviews about it's value. So few have been sold in recent times that no one seems to know what they are worth. I've seen one sell for $8,000 before. It's gotten a lot of excited interest from various people in the know. I tried to sell it once and didn't receive even one serious offer. It generated a lot of interest, but most people seemed to think they couldn't afford it. I had a few people who wanted to have it shipped to them thousands of miles away, no small task. There just weren't enough people who both knew what they were looking at, and had the resources to take it on. I could have sold it to a museum, but most museums wouldn't want it as attraction because people wouldn't know or care what they were looking at if they saw it. Too few of their patrons would have ever even heard one played by a competent individual anyway. I even had a well known modern recording artist who wanted rent it to shoot a music video, but they never seemed to have been able to get together the resources to take it to their set. In the end, popularity matters more than rarity or desirability.

Last edited by rat fink; 03-25-10 at 05:19 PM.