Old 04-13-10, 03:28 PM
$ick3nin.vend3t
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TJKnight
Not to hijack this thread, but I began weight training in November, 2009. I am just now doing some long rides on the weekends after weekday weight training at the gym where I work.

I do squats 4 or 5 days/week: warmup 50 lbs. 1x12, followed by 90 lbs. 4x12. (with 2 minute rest periods.)

I then alternate days between: -lateral pulldowns, rows, triceps rope pulldowns; and
-free weights

After doing the first circuit (lats, tris, rows) on Friday, last Saturday I went for a 72 mile ride in the mountains. After mile 26, my legs became fatigued, and felt dead. I slowed down and recovered, but my buddy told me I should not have done the squats on Friday. Should I have done any weight training at all? Or would an entire day off have been better for my ride on Saturday?

Thanks,
TJ
I think your "dead legs" have more to do with not putting in enough miles & just riding on the weekends.

A 72 mile ride in the mountains is sure going some considering how many times you get out on the bike per week (weekend). I think its a strength endurance/not putting in the miles issue rather being at the squat rack.

Personally I don't squat. I do conventional deadlifts/romanian dealifts because it works a significantly greater percentage of the muscles and involves multiple joints. Its also the lift that recruits the larger motor units in the body. Its also the lift that prolongs "speed endurance".

I wouldn't stop the weight training. I would exchange squats for deads, put in more miles & ride more during the weekdays. Deadlifts tax more of the body to perform so watch out for that. Stay dedicated to them & overtime you'll adapt to that stimulus.

Last edited by $ick3nin.vend3t; 04-13-10 at 04:41 PM.