View Single Post
Old 04-21-10, 12:19 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by saratoga
I'm looking to buy a new one pretty soon to replace the Blackburn trainer I've had for several years.

My issue is: When doing ST or 2X20's (or 2X30's), the heat generated changes the viscosity of the fluid and the resistance decreases. I'll post a screenshot of the graph later tonight when I'm at home... pwr remains constant while cadence and speed increase until I have to upshift- two to three times per interval. The sudden change in cadence/tq screws with me. It isn't an issue doing on/off or other short duration types of intervals. The other night I just got irritated and stopped about half way through the first one.

I was interested in the cycleops jet fluid pro in case anyone has any comments either way.
I used to have a Blackburn fluid trainer; it would do exactly as you describe. I replaced it with a Kinetic fluid trainer which does not display this behavior. The better quality fluid trainers use a silicon based fluid inside which does not display a large change in viscosity. Whatever Blackburn uses inside their trainer really does change viscosity drastically with temperature.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter