TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by ph4nt0mf1ng3rs
Ahhhhh I see. Thanks. Btw, when starting off from a standing start, (Ive never had the opportunity to have someone help me with pedal technique and have heard lots of different things from youtube-experts) do you engage the bag foot by pulling up on the pedal in addition to engaging the front foot to exert downward pressure?

Ive heard a few times that you should try to "throw" your knee over the handlebars XD and exerting downward pressure on the pedal is natrual.
Thinking about pulling up is essential on every stroke. Pushing is pretty automatic. I practice this on the road by climbing out of the saddle and consciously pulling up on each leg. Gravity pushes you down naturally but you must work against gravity on the upstroke. Also, your legs are stronger pushing than pulling, so it takes a lot of work to improve the pulling part of the pedal stroke. Pulling is also essential to attain a higher cadence when sprinting. Finally, upper body strength is very important in standing starts, such that your arms must react at the handlebars to transfer all the motive force back to the rear wheel, instead of being lost in body movement.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me