View Single Post
Old 08-01-10, 01:10 PM
stuartgc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ciclo Grandini

[QUOTE=Losligato;8291614]Last weekend I was strolling through our local swap meet when I saw a guy reaching down from a panel truck with a bicycle dangling from his hand. He was about to drop it to the ground so I rushed over and helped him. As I lowed it carefully I asked him what he wanted for it. I couldn't get the cash out of my pocket fast enough when he named his price.

While I am good at making adjustments and repairs to bikes, I am no restorer.

Is this bike worth putting in the effort to clean it up? What would you do about the rust on the frame? It is a bit big for me but I like it. Does anyone know more about Ciclo Grandini? I was surprised to find nothing when I searched BikeForums.

Thanks

Hi,
Grandini was the top make of a company called Youngs who had two shops - one at the address on your bike. They sold most of their bikes over the name Youngs but they hand made some which they called Grandini. Mostly they were road racing bikes as yours is. Campag close ratio rear mech, fast back seat stays etc. They loved chrome tipped dropouts done I believe in a factory on the Old Kent Road. I have a custom built Grandini set up for touring. They built the frame to my spec and I completed the bike as I could afford it - all the best bits added! If you do a search look for the name Bettina Selby. She wrote a number of books about her cycling trips . Her first and best bike was a Grandini ordered from our local shop in Lee High Road. It was her bike which inspired me to order one. She lived opposite me and I was very envious. All the best with yours!

Stuart

[