Old 08-05-10, 04:37 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chipcom
Sorry, but you are incorrect. If this had been a drunk driver, rather than a lack of legal lighting, do you really think any DA, judge or jury would think that the LEO had fulfilled his responsibility?
Drunk driving is a serious crime. The standard procedure is to arrest the driver and impound the car (unless there's another sober driver available, then maybe.)

A lack of lights is a simple "ticket" offense, and the only time people are arrested for it and their bikes impounded is when either 1) there's other crimes involved or 2) the cops are trying to be dicks.

Taking your poor analogy further, when you see a driver that you *know* is drunk on the road, do you call the police and give the plates and location every time? Do you do the same when you see a bike ninja?

If the answer to both is true, how do the police respond to being called six times every time you go out riding at night?

As I see it, the cop did his job in an appropriate manner, and I hope he doesn't get in any trouble for it. He's likely to have to do some soul-searching, but I see nothing wrong with what he did. I'm not a fan of bike ninjas, and I wouldn't mind them all getting tickets (but giving them lights would be even better) but I do realize it's pretty minor on the list of bad things cyclists do.

Cutting someone some slack then finding that doing so cost a life is one of a cop's worst nightmares.
Probably true, but that still doesn't mean he did anything wrong.