View Single Post
Old 08-17-10, 11:32 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
If you ditch the One Piece Crankset and the Schwinn Approved derailleurs you can shave quite a bit of weight off. I built a '72 for my old man and its a great rider. Its definitely no featherweight but it is fun to ride and its lighter than a varsity (which doesn't say much I know) but still heavier than something like a Super Course.
Oh, I don't know, but I don't really believe it.

With the crank, I don't see how a single Z-shaped piece of steel, like 3/4" thick or less, that seamlessly integrates both crank arms and the spindle, can weigh that much more than two much thicker pieces of aluminum and steel bolts attaching them to a steel spindle. The excessive weight must come from somewhere else, like the massive chromed steel chain rings and bash guard. Can they be replaced with aluminum?

As for the derailleur... In my experience the main problem with a Huret Alvit derailleur is that it's a terrible derailleur; sure it's heavy, but that's beside the point. Almost anything else would shift better.

By the way, Pars said 34 lbs. Coincidentally, that's exactly what my '40 New World weighs, with its fillet brazed frame ("Finest Steel Tubing") and chromed steel everything else. I don't think there's a scrap of aluminum on that bike anywhere. The Sports Tourer just has to weigh less.