View Single Post
Old 08-23-10, 08:42 PM
edwardgibbs

Bikes: 1981 Trek 311 Single Speed Shogun 600 Touring Bike, 1950's Schwinn Corvette, 1971 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi folks,
I've been lurking around here for awhile, but this is my first post.
I have no idea of the serial number for my Shogun, but am happy to see some others who have Shoguns.
Mine was found laying on the street in front of a neighborhood branch of the public library. It had been there for almost a week and the librarians urged me to take it. When I looked it over I realized it was a full on touring model with eyelets and braze ones for multiple racks, fenders, bottle cages, etc.
It had a Sakae triple crank, Shimano down tube shifters, nice Shimano canti brakes and some other pieces I cannot remember, but still have in a box. It had 27" wheels, but worked fine with 700c's even with the canti's
The frame is a little small, but I decided to make it work as my touring/camping bike and so far it has been awesome, stable under loads and really comfortable on multi day trips. Its done a century and routinely goes on 60 and 70 mile rides. It is however not a "fast bike".
The geometry is a little wacky. It has a 33 inch stand over with Schwalbe Marathon 32's, but has a 22" top tupe. The reach is a little crowded, but I've fixed this as best I can with a CLB seatpost (26.8) ] and a long stem. TCO is definitely an issue if you aren't on the look out.

I stripped the frame and had it powder coated and re-built it with mostly new and scavenged parts from around the basement.

It is a 600 model and originally had pretty bland gray paint. It had a TANGE 900 steel sticker and a made in Japan sticker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6000..jpg (99.6 KB, 413 views)

Last edited by edwardgibbs; 08-23-10 at 08:46 PM. Reason: wrong picture