Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shogun serial # database?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Shogun serial # database?

Old 11-08-21, 09:00 AM
  #351  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good morning, I have just registered here to see if anybody can help me with the year of my Shogun bike. The info that I can provide is only what I see in the bike: (DARK BLUE) SHOGUN 100 HIGH TENSILE STEEL (says in the frame), TANGALOY 100 (says in the front fork), Shimano Tourney brakes & Shimano Dee-50 brake levers, Shimano RS rear derailleur, Shimano front derailleur don't say what model, both hubs says Shimano Japan with a strange logo with a K on the left and an A on the right. Sorry I cannot post some pictures of it but I'm new on the forum and I have to write 10 post to upload pictures.
Kristo1978 is offline  
Old 04-08-22, 01:13 PM
  #352  
Rsena09
 
Rsena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Central Valley Visalia, Caifornia
Posts: 1

Bikes: Shogun 27" cr-mo 500

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Serial

Originally Posted by joychri
I have a Shogun 300. I will try and post the serial number later today. Where is the serial number on yours?

Very bottom under your crank housing

Last edited by Rsena; 04-08-22 at 01:52 PM.
Rsena is offline  
Old 04-27-22, 11:09 PM
  #353  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Santa Rosa, California
Posts: 25

Bikes: Linus Roadster 7i

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Just finished cleaning up this Shogun 400 mixte. This is one of the nicest mixtes I've worked on, although it came with an unfortunate choice of handlebars. I swapped out the stem and bar with one from a Linus mixte I parted out and am looking for a better seat for it. The serial number is S3N9010. Not sure how to determine the year and month from this, but it rides quite nicely with the new handlebars.

I prefer this handlebar setup over drop bars.

The serial number under the bottom bracket.
jkrug is offline  
Old 04-28-22, 06:35 AM
  #354  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,223
Likes: 0
Liked 3,052 Times in 1,885 Posts
Originally Posted by jkrug
Just finished cleaning up this Shogun 400 mixte. This is one of the nicest mixtes I've worked on, although it came with an unfortunate choice of handlebars. I swapped out the stem and bar with one from a Linus mixte I parted out and am looking for a better seat for it. The serial number is S3N9010. Not sure how to determine the year and month from this, but it rides quite nicely with the new handlebars...
Your frame was manufactured in 1983. However, the rear derailleurs appear to be Shimano Z series (possibly a Z503-GS on the rear and Z202 on the front). IIRC, these were introduced in late 1983 for the 1984 model year.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 04-28-22, 07:00 AM
  #355  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,223
Likes: 0
Liked 3,052 Times in 1,885 Posts
Originally Posted by Kristo1978
Good morning, I have just registered here to see if anybody can help me with the year of my Shogun bike. The info that I can provide is only what I see in the bike: (DARK BLUE) SHOGUN 100 HIGH TENSILE STEEL (says in the frame), TANGALOY 100 (says in the front fork), Shimano Tourney brakes & Shimano Dee-50 brake levers, Shimano RS rear derailleur, Shimano front derailleur don't say what model, both hubs says Shimano Japan with a strange logo with a K on the left and an A on the right. Sorry I cannot post some pictures of it but I'm new on the forum and I have to write 10 post to upload pictures.
Welcome to the forums. 100 is actually the Shogun model number. Based on the combination of a Shimano RS rear derailleur and a Shimano FE front derailleur, it should be circa 1979-1983. I would require more information to narrow that range but my initial reaction is the latter part of that range. If you could provide the serial number and/or some component date codes, that would help. Photo assist...
T-Mar is offline  
Old 05-16-22, 10:20 PM
  #356  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 13

Bikes: 2004 Iron Horse Warrior Special Edition , 90s Jamis Aurora , 1990 Shogun Metro AT

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I just picked up a Shogun Metro AT and have seen two others on this forum, but I didn't see what year their bikes were. Would love to add serial # M9J57122 to the database and find out the year and any other info that's fun!

I will post better pictures once it is fully restored!


Absolutely in love with the styling of this bike. What width of tires should I get for this? would 28-32 be too wide??


GarageAlwaysFul is offline  
Old 05-17-22, 05:45 AM
  #357  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,223
Likes: 0
Liked 3,052 Times in 1,885 Posts
Originally Posted by GarageAlwaysFul
I just picked up a Shogun Metro AT and have seen two others on this forum, but I didn't see what year their bikes were. Would love to add serial # M9J57122 to the database and find out the year and any other info that's fun!


I will post better pictures once it is fully restored!



Absolutely in love with the styling of this bike. What width of tires should I get for this? would 28-32 be too wide??
Your Metro AT is what is generically referred to as a hybrid bicycle, with hybrid referring to it's ability to handle both road and off-road. Essentially, hybrids are ATBs but with 700C wheelsets. I believe Metro AT stands for metropolitan all terrain.

Hybrids did not not have a substantial market impact until the very late 1980s. Your bicycle still has thumbshifters, which were largely phased out in the early 1990s with the advent Rapidfire style trigger shifters. Consequently, I believe your serial number represents late 1989 manufacture and is likely a 1990 model.

Hybrid tyres were a compromise between road and ATB tyres. The width tended to be fatter than road tyres but skinnier than ATB tyres. Most hybrids were designed for 700 x 32C or 700 x 35C tyres, so I doubt there will be an issue. You might even be able to accommodate 700 x 38C but it will be trial and error as all tyres of a certian size do not necessarily measure the same width. The limiting factor is typically the clearance at the chain stays.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 05-17-22, 08:06 AM
  #358  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 13

Bikes: 2004 Iron Horse Warrior Special Edition , 90s Jamis Aurora , 1990 Shogun Metro AT

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks a million, T-Mar! Your knowledge and resources are legendary.
GarageAlwaysFul is offline  
Old 11-03-22, 07:15 PM
  #359  
Senior Member
 
jet sanchEz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 8,073
Liked 862 Times in 388 Posts
Does anyone know which model of Shogun this is?

I wouldn't buy this one as it looks pretty beat but I like the geometry and the double eyelets on the fork-----and the pink paint is pretty sweet too.

THanks

jet sanchEz is offline  
Old 11-05-22, 09:34 AM
  #360  
Full Member
 
casanewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 388

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Does anyone know which model of Shogun this is?

I wouldn't buy this one as it looks pretty beat but I like the geometry and the double eyelets on the fork-----and the pink paint is pretty sweet too.

THanks

This one has me scratching my head. Bottle cage braze-ons, but no cable ones on the top tubes. Shogun logo does not match the period where they would have run with pink as a color. Fork has two eyelets like a touring fork, but this is not a touring frame. I wonder if it has been repainted, I wonder if the fork has been replaced. Head badge shape is throwing me off as well.
casanewt is offline  
Old 11-05-22, 11:02 AM
  #361  
Senior Member
 
jet sanchEz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 8,073
Liked 862 Times in 388 Posts
Its not a repaint, I've seen one other like this, it was listed in the ebay thread over the summer

It's very similar to the Kuwahara Count model that has a few threads here in C&V

I only kept one pic from the one listed in the summer but I remember that there were many pictures in the ad and the quality of the frame and paint seemed very high


jet sanchEz is offline  
Old 05-28-23, 06:48 PM
  #362  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 56
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I just picked up a Shogun 1000 this morning. I think I paid too much as it'll need some work.

Serial number is M0F32259. The main problem is that it's missing the bushings, washers, and bolts for the shifters. New to this. Anyone know where I can get the hardware for the shifters?









SF Valley is offline  
Old 05-28-23, 07:43 PM
  #363  
small ring
 
droppedandlost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,032
Liked 942 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by SF Valley
I just picked up a Shogun 1000 this morning. I think I paid too much as it'll need some work.

Serial number is M0F32259. The main problem is that it's missing the bushings, washers, and bolts for the shifters. New to this. Anyone know where I can get the hardware for the shifters?
The reason may be because the bosses are the older Shimano style and the 600 series doesn't fit. I have an 81 1000 and had to go at it with a Dremel to get stuff to fit.
__________________
59 Allegro Special -- 72 Bob Jackson -- 74 Motobecane Grand Jubile -- 74 Sekine SHS 271 -- 80 Nishiki International
85 Shogun 800 -- 86 Tommasini Super Prestige -- 92 Specialized Rockhopper -- 17 Colnago Arabesque
droppedandlost is offline  
Old 06-01-23, 09:28 AM
  #364  
...
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Whitestone and Rensselaerville, New York
Posts: 1,600

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Liked 1,739 Times in 789 Posts
Shogun Celeste
1987?
BTinNYC is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
unworthy1
Classic & Vintage
2
07-22-19 01:35 AM
Codyt79
BMX
0
06-26-19 10:16 AM
taylor71
BMX
0
08-15-17 12:20 AM
leicanthrope
Classic & Vintage
1
07-25-15 02:46 PM
guidogad
Classic & Vintage
2
10-11-11 04:45 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.