TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
Fenders also increase the amount of toe overlap, so you should avoid really steep head tube frames. The Kilo WT (http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../kilott_wt.htm) is a good example of bad design. Its built with eyelets and plenty of clearance and it seems to be intended as a do-it-all bike, but the unnecessarily steep geometry (which is intended to conform to a fad, not function) is going to result in excessive toe-fender overlap for most people. Toe-fender overlap is dangerous because its possible for the fender to kep swept up by the tire, forcing it through the fork and sending you over the bars. I've seen it happen.
The Kilo WT geometry is a carbon copy of the Surly Steamroller, so you can blame Surly for "bad design." I've had numerous bikes over the years which had toe to front fender overlap and have never managed to lock up the front wheel, nor can I quite imagine how this could happen. If you really care about massive clearance for large tires and fenders, then just get an old rigid frame MTB with 26" wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP0538..jpg (99.1 KB, 16 views)
IMGP0540..jpg (96.9 KB, 14 views)
IMGP0870..jpg (98.5 KB, 28 views)

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 10-27-10 at 09:02 PM. Reason: added pics