Thread: Studded Tires?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-10, 05:16 AM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
those are the same tires i'm considering slapping on my mountain hybrid for my first attempt at full 4-season riding this winter. have you been satisfied with them? peter white describes it as a good all around tire, have you found that to be true? i have a mixed urban street/bike path commute and i think i need something a little more rugged than the Hakkapeliitta W106 because the conditions on the lakefront bike path can be more "unmaintained" than regular city streets.
I have been very satisfied with them, other than the weight and rolling resistance--but that is the nature of the beast.

I was riding along one night on my way in to work last winter, I was on a downhill run, hit a patch of ice approximately a couple of inches high, thirty yards long. I hit it hard enough that it broke the zip tie that held my "see me" light on my bike. I hit the brakes, stopped, and went an picked up my light. I felt that my tires helped me stop with out skidding and losing control.

I will say that while they are great on ice, they leave something to be desired in about 4 inches of heavy, slushy, wet snow.