Old 12-12-10, 03:41 AM
Veloria
Lug Princess

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Hi Veloria. I saw some pics on flicker. how is the cleaning coming along? did the brake get broken in shipping?
Unfortunately no. The damage was caused by the bike being either dropped or crashed, falling to the right. Right side of the handlebars is damaged as well, so those will have to go. (If anybody has a functional Modolo Flash front caliper, let me know!)

The bike is doing better. The derailleurs indeed seem okay other than being frozen/ gummed up - I've just never seen it this bad unless everything was rusty, so it threw me. The BB is not okay after initial tinkering, so I've taken it to a mechanic I like for replacement or possible repair. I am not up to a BB overhaul on my own yet, and I am quite serious that the husband won't help me with this bike! The front wheel, which is in bad shape, may be salvageable - but not sure yet. I am trying to remain very detached until I decide whether I am keeping the bike. But the frame & fork are definitely undamaged and in clean condition, so fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by Ragooch
Just my view, but when you purchase an old bike that you plan on riding I think you should completely disassemble it, clean and inspect all the parts, and reassemble properly replacing any bearings, cables, etc. that need attention... It's also a good opportunity to flush out the frame add some rust preventive and give it a good coat of paste wax.
Oh I agree. But I wanted to determine whether it is worth keeping the bike in the first place, hence trying to diagnose how much time/money I would need to sink into it. It is not as bad as I initially thought, so it is looking more like I will keep it.

Last edited by Veloria; 12-12-10 at 03:53 AM.