View Single Post
Old 12-16-10, 03:09 PM
TGVZG

Bikes: Felt 85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used a few, but the one that fits best snugly around my face is the Pearl Izumi Barrier model. The only draw back with the tightness of the balaclava, is that if you wear thick templed cycling glasses (Specialized Helix in my case - has prescription insert), the elastic puses the glasses temples against your face. for a short, one hour ride, its not realy so bad, but I rode last Sunday from Prospect Park, Brooklyn, to Stricly's bike shop in NJ, and back... my temples still hurt when I chew... I would sugest making holes on the sides of the Balaclava, for tghe temples to slide through. However, this must be done using hot scissors, that quickly melt the openning, to prevent the elastic fabric from unraveling.
Another issue with wearing cycling glasses with a balaclava, is that wind enters aroun temples, making it quite noisy. This can be solved by suffing cotton balls around the temples.
The Pearl Izumi Barrier balaklava is windproof, covers neck well, and is ergonamicaly constructed. I use it daily in Prospect Park, and its mighty chilly these days!