Old 01-03-11, 10:24 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by The Historian
I start the new year at 281.6. That's down about 2.5 pounds since last week. I was correct in thinking that the weight gain was from too much bad 'holiday' food, and nothing to be concerned about.

I'm currently restricted in my activities as my knees heal. I walked about four miles during the week, and that's it. I've had to cancel my plans, including a hike up Mount Misery in Valley Forge and a 45 mile ride on my birthday Saturday the 8th. And I'm trying to focus on the present, but between the injury and the fact this is the five year anniversary of my life change I find myself lost in memories. For instance, today is the day I went to the gym for the first time, five years ago. I was 400 pounds and was exhausted by seven minutes on a recumbent exercise bike. Now, five years later, I can't ride. :-(

Still, there are some ups this week. I'm doing a short hike on my birthday at St. Peters, a town next to a glacial moraine field, and then a lunch with friends. I have a bag of clothes that are too big for me that I'm giving to Goodwill. I'm taking some time off from planning my May trip across the country, which will give me a break. And I'm turning 45. Five years ago I feared I'd never make it.
Oh, and I'm lowering my goal weight to 225. This is consistent with my rethinking myself as an athlete who went soft instead of a super-obese man who tried to lose weight and failed.