View Single Post
Old 01-23-11, 12:56 AM
reelfishin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I don't have any pics handy, the bike is all apart right now.
Here's the brochure pic from 1985: http://picasaweb.google.com/scarsgo/...13261101890658

The frame measures 24 1/2" From the middle of the crank axle to the top of the seat tube. It's a big bike.
This one has it's original tires, although the side walls are all bubbled up, the tread has little to no wear, every bit of the bike is original. Now I have to find a new SR Laprade seat post for it. The old one is out, I swept up the remains just a little while ago. To my amazement, the inside of the seat tube is rust free, it's even still painted for the most part. I drilled it out with a 1" drill bit, then worked a seat post reamer till I got past the old post. There was some powdery aluminum but it sure didn't look like enough to hold the post from moving that bad. It resisted all the way down to the last cut. The entire post came out in tiny reamer shavings. I sort of figured that once it got thin it would 'peel' away as I expanded the reamer but no such luck.
(I'm super glad I bought this old reamer years ago, other then cleaning up seat post tubes here and there, it's the most I've used it so far. I think it was sold by Eldi Tools. It came as a throw in when I bought my BB threading set off a bike shop owner that was retiring.

Now all is left is to get all the shavings out of the frame, the seat post tube is closed off at the bottom partially, it don't go through to the BB directly, the BB shell is made so that water can't get down the seat post into the crankaxle area. The lug portion is open only to a small opening at the bottom of the shell, which also acts as a drain I guess. I used a lot of lube while cutting out the seat post so the shavings are all caked up at the bottom. I'll have to take it to work and blast it out with air and some solvent. I also want to treat the inside of the frame with something to prevent any future rust.

Right now I'm really just glad I got it out and the frame is OK.

The paint on this thing is decent, there's some chain slap paint wear and the normal scratches and chips for a bike that's 25 years old.
When I found this bike I was looking for a large frame older MTB. I was particually after a Schwinn High Sierra like I had before, which I sold before I moved back in the early 90's. When I found this, I liked this better. I'd still like to find another Schwinn High Sierra in a black chrome 23" frame, but for now this will work.
A big plus is that it's a Panasonic, which have always seemed to be a step above the rest of the Japanese brands. I've owned four or five now and every one was top notch. It's one of the brands I've got a soft spot for I guess.