Ken Cox
King of the Hipsters

Bikes: Realm Cycles Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vladuz976
what options do I have with regards to the geometry if I wanted to get a custom made steel track frame?

fork and rear width I know I have a choice, but there is a common widths that fit most hub, that I should go with.
but other than specifying the tube length and bottom bracket height, is there more options I can play around with?
Vladuz976 asks a valid question.

With a track frame, you don't have very many options.

The label "track frame" pretty much dictates the geometry.

A truly knowledgeable frame maker can fine tune aspects of the frame that, in my opinion, most people could not and would not appreciate.

Things like mixing the tubing between 631, 725 and 853 (Mercian will do that for you if you ask the right questions).

With a custom maker, in this application, you will a reasonable fit, good quality of manufacture, the color of your choice, and the not insignificant value of a famous name bike.

If you have the money, don't let these sour-grapes guys talk you out of it.

I lack a piece of the puzzle, though.

How much does the Japanese government protect its bike industry?

Would you have to pay an import penalty for a Surly Steamroller?

Personally, I'd buy a Surly Steamroller Complete and ride it for awhile.

Then, after I knew more about what I like and don't like, I'd upgrade the wheels and tires, followed by the crank set and pedals.

If I rode with brakes, which I don't, I'd want the latest Dura Ace in front and nothing in back.

If you start with a Steamroller, you can afford expensive wheels, crank sets and brakes.

Enjoy.

Let us know what you decided to do.