View Single Post
Old 03-01-11, 06:34 AM
wheel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_biker
Here is quote from one CGOAB journal where I first heard about the time reference:

"When we arrived at Tettegouche State Park, just after 2pm, the Campground "FULL" sign was up. We went into the office to see if there was any hiker/biker sites available. The staff person said they only provide overflow camping to hikers and bikers late in the day when they are not able to continue to some other place for the night. I explained that bicycle travel with a child, that she had reached her limit for the day. The park staff person got the park manager and I again explained our situation. He finally allowed us to stay in the "picnic" area. I then tried to make reservations at the other state parks on the North Shore for the rest of our tour but all reservable sites were taken. I tried to get a commitment that there would be overflow camping available at the state parks but could not get any, only that if you arrive late in the day they may make arraignments for over flow camping."

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/p...id=162628&v=6H

I think most reasonable park staff would let you stay but they don't have to. Depending on the distance to another option, conditions, or biker status that could be a problem. Wisconsin parks have to find you a spot but I don't know if that is true of most states or not.

I don't know about you but if I got an early start and had my daily mile quota in by 2:00 when I hit a state park that I wanted to stay at, I would be PO'd to be turned away.
I emailed them.

(DNR) to me
show details 7:56 AM (22 hours ago)
We always allow bicyclers a spot. It may not be the best, but we never turn them away. We advise making a reservation if at all possible.

Minnesota is extremely bicycle friendly. I would never worry about a place to sleep here.