Old 06-07-05, 12:55 PM
gwaereth

Bikes: 1999 Gary Fisher Marlin, 2001 Cannondale R500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, newbie poster with a situation:

Recently moved back to Chicago and am refitting a 1999 Gary Fisher Marlin for use as a commuter.
I've got two problems: I'm 6'4", size 13 shoe; and obviously the bike has a shorter chainstay length.

I've just thrown on:
A Performance Transit Rack
A pair of Performance Transit Pro Panniers

I've moved the panniers as far back as they'll go an am still skinning my heels. I'm not too worried about going too far back on the bike from a weight balance perspective since I don't plan on carrying a load worthy of touring, but I do need to take enough stuff to shower, change, perhaps some work materials.

I've investigated various racks and bags. My first hope was to just get an extended rack, like the Jandd Expedition Rack, but at ~$60, before I start dropping coin on a rack intended for touring, I'm just wondering if there is something that'll better suit my needs and my wallet.

So, I came across the Delta MegaRack XL. For ~$30.

My questions:
  • The MegaRack seems to have a rounded end to the rack, and I'm afraid that this is going to effectively negate the benefits of the additional 2" on the XL? Does anyone have any experience with this rack that can speak to it, and potentially what the actual, usable, dimensions are once you take out that rounding?
  • Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas for a longer rack aside from these two? I'm considering Delta bags as well, to try and get a bag with the heel knock out on the corners, but again, before I spend heavy money on touring grade stuff, I'd like to know the options.
  • Finally, I've read the other threads on this topic of heel strike. I'm just generally wondering if the extended length of the racks are what cause them to cost more (eg, Jandd), or if there is also some added "beefiness" that is being added to such racks with the expected additional load for additional rack space?

Ok, I've rambled enoough. I appreciate everyone bearing with me. I've been pondering this topic fairly incessantly for a few days now. I hope to have some resolution soon, if for no other reason than to give my wife some peace and quiet.

Regards,

Sam

Last edited by gwaereth; 06-07-05 at 04:05 PM.