flattie

Bikes: Raleigh M20; Jamis Bosanova & timesharing a citibike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
Vittoria CG and FMB Paris Roubaix are 700x27
I doubt you'll find many (any?) here commuting on tubulars, so you're blazing your own trail.

Having a variety of bikes, I would recommend a "sport tourer" if you want something different, and only then if you want a) wider tires than you can run on the Madone b) an easier way to carry a rack c) better fender accommodations. I have cyclocross bikes, but the only thing they offer over my Salsa Casseroll (fenders, rack, 700x28) or Speedvagen/Giant TCR (700x23or25) is the ability to run even larger tires. Unless you're running studded tires in the snow, I don't see the point for you.
What bikes do you feel fit the "sport tourer" genre? Like the OP my commute will be longish - about 26 miles each way. Unlike the OP I don't have a road bike just a aluminum frame hardtail MTB with a front shock. I am seriously considering purchasing a road bike with the goal of commuting into work 1 or 2 days a week to replace the time spent in the gym on an elliptical machine.

Anyway - in looking around locally there are only a few bikes that have grabbed my attention. The Masi CX Uno, the Jamis Bosanova, the Trek Lane, and a Raleigh One Way(if only this bike had gears!). So far the Jamis is in the lead and hopefully I can get a test ride on it this weekend. Are any of these what you would consider a "sport tourer"? I asked to see the Trek 520 at a local shop but he said they wouldn't be available until June.

Thanks - and apologies to the OP for the thread jack.