Old 06-10-05, 07:29 AM
ks1g
Because I thought I could

Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alfred E Bike (aebike.com) sells the Axiom racks as well as their panniers. I have an Odyssee on my MTB/commuter and put a Journey on my son's bike for an upcoming trip. I also had heel strike problems (not as severe - size 8 shoes but a smaller frame makes up for it) and the Axiom racks solved it.

The Odysee is more adjustable than the Journey; the Journey has a solid splash plate that helps a little if you don't have a rear fender. Both racks have a very adjustable mounting system for the front stays. It may be more difficult to use taller panniers that have a bungee cord or strap and hook (Performance Transit Pro and Epics, Jandd Economy, and ironically, some of the Axiom panniers) on the Odysee. There is less distance on the Odysee between the top of the rack and the swoopy lower bar; depending on where you want to hook the pannier, the strap or bungee cord may be too long. The Odysee has an adjustable plate for hooking a pannier near the lower mount point, and this is what I usually use. The Journey rack is "taller" in this respect and may better accomodate "tall" panniers. Rack rods are 10mm diameter, this could be a problem for hooks on cheaper panniers designed for a thinner rack.

Both racks are well made, seem to hold very heavy loads, and are economical.