View Single Post
Old 05-02-11, 03:37 PM
Scott Thalacker

Bikes: Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has been awhile since anyone posted on this thread, but I was in your shoes a year ago and have since done the ride. It was my (and my partner's) first tour. The roads are fine. The worst section was 61 in Minnesota, where there are almost no shoulders. We went in early June, and many people were hauling their boats up. There were trains of boat hauling trucks flying by, and fog. Seems like right around Lutsen was the worst... Canada had little traffic compared with the MN stretch. In Canada, very wide shoulders on uphills, of which there are more than we expected. Also, tourist season in Canada doesn't really start until June, so that may have had some bearing on the traffic. A few pieces of unsolicited advice: Ride clockwise; don't pay for camping (except at several 'municpal' campgrounds and national forest - Bayview in MI, Herbster in WI, Washburn in WI, and Grand Portage Marina were our favorites); don't ride the purported Gitcheegumi bike trail in MN unless you have time and are desperate to get off of the highway (these trails are MUCH more winding and steep than the highway). We went in early June and had NO issues with any bugs. The Salzburger Hof in Batchawana Bay was awesome and worth the side trip - cheapish (out of season) and GREAT food - I ate the whole meat plate! A life changing experience for me. Highly recommended.